Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camp security deep in the woods.  (Read 3746 times)

lt250r

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Camp security deep in the woods.
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »

Ok, first post. New to this. Need help..  Built a new camp..  Old one burnt down last year.. Not sure who or why..  Have lots of cell signal down there..  No power or phone lines..  Can get solar power..?  Would like to get a security camera or two..  Can you get one that has a cell phone built in to send video and pics back to my house?  about 60 kms away..  Would pay monthly fees and or up to $500 for peace of mind security..  Any thoughts or ideas would be great..   

Jason  from Canada

Looking forward to deer hunting at our new camp..   lt250r@nbnet.nb.ca

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Camp security deep in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »

Maybe.... you could start a sign-up sheet and we could volunteer to take turns camping out and watching the place. Sounds like fun! Your not the 1st person to think about this... there is even a service that sells such equipment:  http://www.dmssolarvision.com/solar_powered_pole_mount_security_cameras.html

I would guess... if you study such equipment and talk to your phone service people... you might be able to save some real money with a DIY version. Actually just the camera, box, solar panel, and ANTENNA would scare away most people.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:51:16 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:55:08 AM »

Thought I seen critter / hunting cams that take sim cards or cell phones on eBay, if I remember correctly.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »

google buckeyecam
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »

Just another thought. We have a hunting camp in the Michigan UP. We have had it broken into a couple of times, it's a former logging camp built in the 1930's, it's huge (sleeps over 20 people) and was full of antiques. So we started thinking about adding security, like you we have no phone lines, but we do have power. We decided against it, as it's so remote that police response time would be over an hour, and then they would have to find it, it's not visible from the road. Thieves would be long gone by the time anyone got there.

Your place may not be that remote.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »

Put up some decoy security cameras...it works for ducks, might also work for UP methheads.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »

.....So we started thinking about adding security......... We decided against it, as it's so remote that police response time would be over an hour

You might be surprised at how many people LIVE with that kind of responce time. In many neighborhoods in actual American city's you can get a pizza delivered to your door faster than a cop. The worst part is thugs and punks know that too.

I wouldn't keep anything of value in a remote cabin. And... there just isn't anyway to "lockup" a cabin or camp site well enough to protect it. A solar powered camera and cell phone dialer might deter some or even most people. But I also wonder if some people wouldn't just see those items as stealables.

William8

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »

I wouldn't keep anything of value in a remote cabin. And... there just isn't anyway to "lockup" a cabin or camp site well enough to protect it. A solar powered camera and cell phone dialer might deter some or even most people. But I also wonder if some people wouldn't just see those items as stealables.

It's not so much that we kept things of value there, they were things that were there since the place was built, so I don't really think anyone thought about it. Huge antique ice chests, 4ft tall antique radios (that still worked), and furniture. I'm actually surprised it took until 2002 before anyone stole anything. Before that they had broke in once or twice about ten years apart, and taken the liqueur, but nothing of any real value.

Your right about securing it though. It's not like we just left it sitting there, it has solid wooden shutters with padlocks on all the windows, and very thick steel doors with reinforced lock plates. But in the middle of nowhere, they could make all the noise they wanted...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:49:23 PM by William8 »

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26:56 PM »

It's not so much that we kept things of value there, they were things that were there since the place was built........

Yeah I caught that. What I meant was... I wouldn't try to secure a remote building so as items of value could be stored there... in the future.

it has solid wooden shutters with padlocks on all the windows, and very thick steel doors with reinforced lock plates. But in the middle of nowhere, they could make all the noise they wanted...

Two years ago in the city of Dayton Ohio, at Christmas time... burglars broke into a home using a chainsaw to cut a hole in a wall. How do you prepare for that.

I'd guess dummy (or real recording) cameras on a pole might be the best thing to try. Maybe.... add a voice warning announcement that says "video is being transfered to the properity owner and police are being notified" might help. RCaddict created a cheap MP3 player powered unit that could easily be trigger by the X10 floodlight (PR511).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:28:34 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.