Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I read about it here... or a link from here.  (Read 9669 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
I read about it here... or a link from here.
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »

Everything I know about X10... I've read here.. or from a link from here. Well.. I'll admit it.. I've read the directions that came with X10 products a time or two also.

Yesterday and today I am testing a simple keyholder device I made. Someone here linked to a Site that showed me how to make it. It wasn't my idea. I would give credit.. by means of a mention here.. if I could remember who linked or even the site I was linked to. I am using my BVC setup to help with my testing (also an idea I learned about here). BVC announces when my keys are removed by saying "drive carefully Dave" and "Dave's home" when I hang the keys on the holder.

Testing has gone well. From time to time the DS10A's heartbeat function (?) causes Kate to announce "Dave's Home" for no apparent reason. I will be removing the announcements after testing... I am just checking reliability now.

Hopefully next weekend or the week after I will be able to progress on to the car detection. It was steven r that mentioned car detection and "at home macros" here that I remember reading about here (back in '06). I've been interested in that since reading about steven r's setup.

Thank you steven r and all the many others that have shared their ideas, thoughts, and questions. Inspiration is valuable when it comes to Home Automation.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: I read about it here... or a link from here.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »

Gonna be watching this thread.

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

Dave,
I found this thread:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=15025.0

But it also seems to me that someone had some pics, too.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »

... But it also seems to me that someone had some pics, too.

Yes I remembered the pictures too. Took me a bit of searching but It may have been from cocoontech - 6 ways of monitoring who is at home. But I think that this might be the original post I remember.

Thanks Knightrider! I updated my Web Page as well as stopped over at cocoontech and posted a thanks to Dan Electron.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:25:38 AM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

I am NOT the only one thinking about uses for occupancy sensing. Check out this awesome idea on YouTube.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

I mounted the IR reflective light projector today and did some testing (more testing to come). And realized (after a little searching) here is where I 1st read about using the PHOTO-ELECTRIC switches for this. Thanks raster69273! I also posted a thanks to Dan Electron for the key holder Idea (over at cocoontech).

This has been one of those projects where I giggle while I work [on it].

Now I am writting macros that will hopefully make use of this data. My 1st is a macro that AHP can tell if the car is gone, the garage door is open (from my garage door reminder macro), and I am not home. So AHP will the text (email) my cell phone. I will be posting some of these macros as the project advances... and I am sure the macros work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:37:46 AM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »

Woo-Hoo!
My two eBay ordered Powerflash Modules arrived today... and one of them works.

I finished the install of the IR Light reflecting projector...car detecting... powerflash alerting setup. I've written some basic macros that combines the Key Holder macros with the car detection. And... it works. This is an ongoing project: Occupancy Sensing

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »

Although still in development stage.. my Occupancy Sensing Setup is also working. The wife and I went out briefly this evening. I left the house knowing that it would arm the alarm all by itself. I've temporary disabled the auto disarm as I continue to create macro's and test.

I never did get used to the slowness of the DS10A's as the status reporter of my key holder. Although the door/window sensor did work better with a micro-switch (I tested that). I switched to a PowerFlash unit with the same cup hooks and all seems to work well.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.