Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: is BVC compatible with Windows 7  (Read 21083 times)

mkgriff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: is BVC compatible with Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »

B:(I know this isn't the right spot for but after getting BVC and AHP running now I'm having difficulty installing the latest driver for the USB-UIRT.  When I go to the website and tried to download it it gives me a zip file, when I open it it does not give me any executable files. what am I missing rofl
BVC & AHP mean never having to say "TURN THAT LIGHT ON WHEN YOU GO BY"

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »

I don't have Windows 7, but this works for 64 bit Vista:

1. Go to http://www.usbuirt.com/getstart.htm and get the Windows Vista / Windows 7 Driver .zip file.
2. Save the .zip file somewhere you can find it.  Your Desktop will work fine for now.
3. Right-click the .zip and choose Extract All...
4. Accept the default location and name by clicking the "Extract" button.
5. Plug in the USB-UIRT.
6. When Windows finally decides it can't find a driver on its own and asks you to put in a disk or browse to a folder containing the driver software, point it at the folder you just extracted from the .zip.

Windows should then find and install the USB-UIRT drivers.

Once it finishes, you may want to restart your computer just for general principals, but mine didn't require that and next time I started BVC... viola!  Working IR!
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 06:35:44 AM »

Great directions Bill. And if for some unexplained reason.... Windows doesn't decide it can't find a driver on its own..

Right click the start button and select control panel.
Select control panels classic view.
Select device manager.
Select (and double click) the USB-UIRT (under Universal Serial Bus Controllers).
Click the Driver Tab then click the update drivers button.
browse to the location where the new driver were extracted (unzipped to).

There are normal issues with software and users in Vista and 7. You may very well need to install your programs (and drivers) while logged on as the administrator. Then assign software to different users. Vista and 7 [even XP] are designed to be used when logged on as a user... with the administrators account being a separate log-on.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:45:00 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »

Just thought I'd let people know that mkgriff has indicated to me that after some issues with a bad download of the USB-UIRT device driver zip file, the freshly downloaded file installed the drivers just fine, and BVC is now talking to the CM15A and USB-UIRT and otherwise working nicely on Windows 7 64-bit.   :)%
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »

I KNEW he would!!! 

You'll get there [everyone does]. I've yet to see anyone fail at this.

Bill wrote good rock solid code in an easy to understand graphic software interface. Even if there is a problem... it is always easily solved.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »

I installed BVC today on my Win 7 pro 64 bit PC!
The install went without a hitch even skiped the training and recognition is smooth.
What I can't comment on is whether or not the SDK files are needed. Some users of PCC have reported errors finding x10 interface untill it was installed.
I already had this installed .
 >!

I think they finally answered this in one of the SDK threads today:

The interface all SDK programs goes through is the ahsdk.dll file.  This is installed and registered by both the SDK installer and the ActiveHome PRO installer.  If this file is installed and properly registered your SDK application should work fine.
>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:45 AM »

Yes, Many have problems with the install of AHP.
And if the install goes bad which in a web install usualy does, then that explains it! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and tried BVC this morning...it would not even recognize the mike after setting it up through "speech recognition" Most setup options for the the mike refer you back to windows speech recognition.(maybe because it  was trial version though) By the graphics in the program, it seems to be in the early development stage?

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »

.... tried BVC this morning...it would not even recognize the mike after setting it up through "speech recognition" (maybe because it  was trial version though)
... By the graphics in the program, it seems to be in the early development stage?

The trial version turns off after about an hour and I believe has to be restarted. Bill did that to encourage users to purchase the full version. Setup for the microphone is best done [I think] through BVC.

BVC has several graphic "faces". Tuicemen has several he has made available at his Web Site. But other than the facesets... there isn't much in the graphics to look at. Just drop downs, check box selections, and type spaces for names and text to be read. Although Bill is always improving and regularly updates BVC... it's been around a few years. I've been running BVC 24/7 myself, for 4 years now.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 09:51:16 PM »

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and tried BVC this morning...it would not even recognize the mike after setting it up through "speech recognition" Most setup options for the the mike refer you back to windows speech recognition.(maybe because it  was trial version though) By the graphics in the program, it seems to be in the early development stage?

Microsoft changed many things in Windows Vista and Windows 7.  BVC used to start the Microsoft Wizards built into the MS Speech Recognition Engine, how ever as of Windows Vista I haven't been able to get it to do that, so it just refers you to Windows, where they really live anyway.

I don't have Windows 7 yet, but in Vista, the Windows Speech Recognition starts up ignoring everything until you say "start listening".  Sadly, something else I haven't been able to override with BVC yet.

As far as the graphics, you can always do as others have and create your own Face Sets.  I designed BVC with user designed Face Graphic Sets in mind.  Especially since I'm no graphic artist.   ;)   :D
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 07:23:47 AM »

I know a lot of work goes into debugging a program such as BVC and Microsoft changes things frequently. Could you tell me what language you used to program BVC?  Thanks

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »

I know a lot of work goes into debugging a program such as BVC and Microsoft changes things frequently. Could you tell me what language you used to program BVC?  Thanks

Well, in a nutshell, Visual BASIC.  That is after the first JScript experiment (BXVC).
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.