Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem sending signals  (Read 3626 times)

Einreb92

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problem sending signals
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:24 AM »

My computer (pc) is far away from the cm15a and even though I have several of the units with the antennae placed between the rooms, the signal doesn't reach the cm. I installed a filter in the dryer outlet but that hasn't helped. I can't put the computer in the kitchen because there is no room. most of the lights that are x10 are in the kitchen and adjourning hallway. In order to use the iPhone app to control things, the computer must be plugged into the cm. can anyone think of a reasonable solution?  Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Problem sending signals
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »

If the CM15A and computer equipment are on the same circuit. Try an X10 powerline filter on the computer equipment but not having the CM15a on the filter.
I use Insteon but it also can have power line issues. I use their FilterLinc with the Insteon controller. Controller in the pass through unfiltered outlet and my UPS and computer in the filtered outlet.
JV Engineering has released their own filter.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9mmbrb7ok8h35kjs3n3jqph0g6&topic=25699.0

Also the passive Dryer Coupler my not couple enough signal between the power phases in the house. You may need a repeater coupler.

Signal troubleshooting maybe a good thing to do.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »

Please specify what modules with antenna are you using.
try setting up just one of these in the kitchen on the same house code as the kitchen X10 devices.
From where the PC is located try using a Palm pad or X10 remote to send a RF command to the kitchen.
If this works a simple antenna mod to the Cm15 could solve your issue you just need to make sure commands are sent RF
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Einreb92

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »

The computer and the cm are not on the same circuit. It is a large house with lots and lots of circuits. The modules I referred to are TM751s. I tried with one in the hallway, and another in the kitchen where the cm is, but no good. Living in a stone house has its downsides too:(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »

Using multiple tm751 modules will only cause issues.
How were you sending RF signals from the PC?
Computer and cm15 don't need to be on the same circuit however you need a interface connected to the PC to talk to the CM15.
Some have ran extention USB cables to their CM15 with various degrees of success.
Some use another cm15, cm19 or cm17 connected to their PC as an interface to talk to a cm15 in another location.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Einreb92

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »

I happen to have a serial port cm11a that I believe can be connected to the pc. How would I go about doing what you suggest? Clearly I'm a noob at all of this and after paying for multiple sessions with the guy that installed the x10, am trying to figure this out on my own. As for getting the signal from the pc, I'm not sure what you mean. Right now, I havent figured out a way to connect it to the cm from the other room. To control lights, I use the HR12A.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:21:55 PM by Einreb92 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

The computer needs hardware (a x10 interface like a cm11,15,17,19) connected to it to send signals.
The cm 11 only sends PLC signals the cm17 and 19 only send RF signals the cm15 will send both
You could connect  your old cm11 to your PC and if your PC software support it it will work to send PLC signals
(AHP and those created with the SDK do)
However if PLC signals won't reach the kitchen for what ever reason then you may need to send RF signals
Can you turn on kitchen x10 lights from your computer room with the HR12a? (it sends RF)
If so you may be better off attaching the cm15 to the PC and place a tm751 in the kitchen.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Einreb92

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »

Thanks for helping me with this. As of right now, I CAN send signals from the computer room to the kitchen using the HR12a. I unplugged the Tm altogether and surprise: it worked! The next step is to find a way to send signals from the AHP into that room. AHP booted up and asked me if I wanted to configure the cm11. Is this what I need to do? Also, what all of this is leading to is the ability to use my iPhone to control things from anywhere. It appears there are two apps: x10 commander for the iPhone and active phone pro. Do you have any insight into these? TIA.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »

OK the next step is to test the cm15 from the computer.
Plug it into the computer and try sending commands from the HR12a if those work no other hardware is needed.
If those signals don't work kitchen lights try installing a tm751 in the kitchen on the same house code as the lights.
in AHP configure a tm751 module and save to the interface.
then from AHP try to turn on a kitchen light.

As for which software to use with your iphone ,I don't have any experiance with that. However if I was to try one it would be x10commander first.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Einreb92

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »

Ok. I now have the 15a connectyed to the computer but the AHP still indicates the 11a that I tried to use earlier today. As of now, the HR12a will control lights, but even though I placed a TM in tyhe kitchen, I can't get AHP to do anything. I think it might have something to9 do with the wrong CM being indicated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »

I posted in your other thread how to disable the cm11 you have to tell AHP not to use a comport.
this will then enable you to use the cm15
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Einreb92

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

Tuiceman, thanks so much for hanging with me. As of right now, I have been able to successfully operate the system with the cm in the computer room and a Tm in the kitchen. I also can now use the activephone app on my iPhone. All in all, a good day with computers. Many thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:24:34 AM »

glad to hear your up and running!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.