Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PalmPad Sends Command Twice?  (Read 4408 times)

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
PalmPad Sends Command Twice?
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »

I have noticed the palm pad sends the X10 command twice.  I tried a keychain remote and it only sends once.

This is REALLY screwing things up in BVC since it tries to send the commands twice.

Any resolution or confirmation that this is the case for others?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: PalmPad Sends Command Twice?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »

I have noticed the palm pad sends the X10 command twice.  I tried a keychain remote and it only sends once.

This is REALLY screwing things up in BVC since it tries to send the commands twice.

Any resolution or confirmation that this is the case for others?

You'll probably notice that with the quickest possible tap on a PalmPad button, the LED flashes 6 times.  (At least that's the count for the HR12A PalmPads I own.)

Each flash corresponds to an RF transmission.  It's up to the receiving circuitry or software to decide how to handle repeated transmissions.  Your receiver or transceiver is evidently repeating its decoding for every N transmissions, where N is less than or equal to 6.  (Or else the count for your PalmPad is greater.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »

What Tranceiver are you using to receive the palm pad?
I know it sends the sequence a few times, but all of mine just output one set of commands.

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »

I am using the CM15A connected to the computer.  I have verified in the log that it sends the command twice for the Palmpads, but only once for the keychain remotes.  I talked with Dave about this and he confirmed this is normal operating procedure.  I suppose there is little I can do about this?

aweber1nj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »

I noticed the same thing when monitoring with AHP and pushing the palmpad buttons.  I thought I saw 3 repeats, but maybe it was 2 and I was seeing an AHP-generated command transmitted as well.

Curious, why is this causing problems?  I could see repeated commands for DIM or BRIGHT might be an issue, but why is it an issue if an ON or OFF command is sent more than once?

-AJ

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:53:19 PM »

Some programs use the On or Off to trigger an event. Two sets of commands may trigger twice.
You may have seen three sets. I saw three a few times. In my case I believe it also saw one coming back from m XTB-IIR repeater.

aweber1nj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »

Ah, I understand.  Macros being triggered, etc.  OK.  I was thinking too simple -- just modules receiving repeated commands.

Agree with what I think is the sentiment: a remote that intends to send commands multiple times should have some config (simple dip switch or something) to set the number of transmissions.

-AJ

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »

Ah, I understand.  Macros being triggered, etc.  OK.  I was thinking too simple -- just modules receiving repeated commands.

Agree with what I think is the sentiment: a remote that intends to send commands multiple times should have some config (simple dip switch or something) to set the number of transmissions.

-AJ

There is no pushbutton remote I know of that has an adjustable feature like that, but transceivers normally have a "repeat" count set high enough so that only one signal is decoded for the minimal repeated transmissions from the supported remotes.  I.e., they will send one PLC signal for every N (or fraction thereof) RF transmissions received in a row.

Assuming that your PalmPad transmits a minimum of 6 times like mine (count the LED flashes), then the CM15A evidently has its transceiving repeat count <= 6.   Since X-10 has reneged on its promise to publish the interface protocol for the CM15A, it's unknown whether the transceiver repeat count is hard coded in the firmware (as I suspect) or is configurable by software.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.