Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard Preset features  (Read 7007 times)

paul

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard Preset features
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »

The following was sent to Presles Support for confirmation.

I fear the obvious answer is #3 below. However, maybe someone has an alternative solution or maybe ther is no issue when Starlight optimization is used with the noon day sun!

Compelling Features:

A) Starlight mode (a sensitivity preset) seems appropriate for lowlight nighttime surveillance of the parking lot which is illuminated by a nearby street light.

B) Storing 9 Pan-Tilt-Zoom preset positions for recall.

Questions:

1. What happens to video image quality, with starlight mode settings, and during the daytime when the sun is bright?

2. Should I expect to have to re-program the sensitivity (and other settings) daily for optimal or reasonable daytime surveillance?

3. Is manual reprogramming required (starlight presets, daytime presets, back and forth) to achieve optimal video quality?

4. Can Active Home Pro macro scripting be utilized to command Vanguard settings – thus automating re-programming of Vanguard camera settings for time-of-day or other reasons?

Please advise that the simple answer is as follows:

Step 1  use the remote to set optimal camera imaging values.
Step 2  use the remote to set camera position, zoom and focus.
Step 3  use remote to save as Preset# 1-9
Step 4  repeat for each unique or specialized “viewing condition”.
Step 5  setup Active Home Pro for automating “preset” selection via AHP addin-ins.

Sincerely, Paul.
AHP 3.206 - all add-ins
CM15 Unmodified within 10' of SmartRF Repeater.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
Re: Vanguard Preset features
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »

1. What happens to video image quality, with starlight mode settings, and during the daytime when the sun is bright?

If starlight mode is on and it's dark, the video will be grainier and you will lose some frame-rate of movement since the image is built out of repeated exposures.

In bright light, the camera overrides the starlight mode and performs normally.

2. Should I expect to have to re-program the sensitivity (and other settings) daily for optimal or reasonable daytime surveillance?

You can leave the camera in starlight mode full time, and it will only use the starlight feature in the dark.

3. Is manual reprogramming required (starlight presets, daytime presets, back and forth) to achieve optimal video quality?

Per my answer in #2, it shouldn't be. Presets only affect camera pan/tilt position and zoom level, and don't take into account focus or video-related settings.

4. Can Active Home Pro macro scripting be utilized to command Vanguard settings – thus automating re-programming of Vanguard camera settings for time-of-day or other reasons?

I don't think the specific key sequences needed to change in and out of different advanced settings can be scripted in a macro, but you should be able to do so with the SDK. However, you shouldn't really need to change these settings after you've made them initially.

paul

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:14:07 AM »

Thank you for your operational insights MichaelC.

I am presuming you have experienced the Vanguard's automatic gain & sensitivity behaviour and have found it acceptable (as you did not comment otherwise).

When consulting with the manual, a reference was made to AGC on / off, however no manual reference on how to set AGC off. Not an issue, as you have indicated automatic behaviour seems desired for day/night cycle operation.

I also presume, given the amount of forum chatter on the subject,  the only significant Vanguard detractor are the plastic gears that will break after 1 year + day.

paul

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »

Response from Presales Tech Support:

------------------------------------------------
To: <pmclauch@hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:49 PM
Subject: [THR4151922]: [Fwd: http://www.x10.com/vanguard/feedback.html]

You will not pickup a picture in daylight while in starlight mode with the camera.

Correct.

Correct.

4. Can Active Home Pro macro scripting be utilized to command
Vanguard settings - thus automating re-programming of Vanguard camera settings for time-of-day or other reasons?   

Not for starlight mode.
-------------------------------------------------

I was hoping for 1st hand experiance to avoid product order churn.
I supose I can buy to try and return before 30 days if not acceptable.
Look for the red dot on the model number plate - you will know that was the one I had.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »

It is disappointing to have such wildly different answers. I'm not 100% confident in all of mine, but when I was at X10 I set up the tests for the starlight mode performance and I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly. I don't have a Vanguard to test with so I can't confirm my memories.

We tested starlight mode by putting the camera in a box with an X10 controlled light, basically, and some images in the box to use for evaluating the image. If we turned on the light to full brightness, the camera definitely went back to normal mode behavior. What I'm not as certain of is that the camera returned to Starlight mode automatically when we dimmed the light back down. I'm pretty sure that it did.

Aside from that last bit of uncertainty, I think that my answers are correct, and that you won't need to perform manual settings regularly to use the camera the way that you want. I have always found the auto-iris and auto backlight compensation of the Vanguard in daylight to work very well. I don't remember what difference the AGC settings made, but I never found any reason to change them.

BFD

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »

... the only significant Vanguard detractor are the plastic gears that will break after 1 year + day.

See From http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11186.0 for a solution to broken gears.
You can find replacement gears at http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/services/advanceresultsDetail.asp?strProd=RRP0120&strSearchType=ALL&strInCategory=ALL&strInManufacturer=ALL&tag=qsrch

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.