🔌General Home Automation > Powerline Control Reliability

Welcome to the New Board!

<< < (3/3)

JeffVolp:

--- Quote ---I have never braved the "UL approved" or "FCC approved" road-blocks myself.
--- End quote ---

Actually, I did pursue UL approval for the XTB-II.  Trace separations in the high voltage section exceed their requirements.  Both legs are fused, and it uses UL approved components.  However, the $6,000 to $14,000 estimated cost was clearly beyond my means.  And then to maintain UL approval, there has to be a quarterly inspection of the "production facility".  With the meager margin on these units, I doubt that I could even afford that.

Jeff

HA Dave:
There is NO requirement for UL approval.

Although UL has been a well marketed product.....it always has been and remains an independent, not-for-profit product safety certification organization. It is NOT a government agency, in anyway.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com):
Yes, UL has quite the "scam" going...

1. "We set the standard."
2. "You must pay us to get a copy of the standard."
3. "You must pay us to test that you met the standard (sometimes repeatedly)."
4. "If we change the standard, begin again at #2."   ;D

Although they are not a government agency, so many government agencies are too lazy to create their own standard, so they buy into UL.

nklght:
I looked through the site and the information looks great.

About UL, it has been so engraved in many minds, that if an item does not contain an UL seal of approval, not to purchase it.  I know I have personally made some modifications which are within building code, that would violate the UL.  I also remember several items that have been approved by the UL, being recalled.  They usually involve christmas lights.

JimC:

--- Quote from: ---1. "We set the standard."
2. "You must pay us to get a copy of the standard."
3. "You must pay us to test that you met the standard (sometimes repeatedly)."
4. "If we change the standard, begin again at #2."   
--- End quote ---

#5 And of course, if you are a manufacturer, building UL approved product, you must pay UL to come in periodically to do inspections.  >:(

Nice site JeffVolp   :) :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version