Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Video Player for Laptop  (Read 3828 times)

GWMichael

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need Video Player for Laptop
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »

Thanks to X10, I have a broadcast TV video signal coming from my TV device on my boat to my laptop. I proved this last night as I was able to capture and playback a small sample video stream. My problem is I want to watch TV on my laptop (video only is necessary, audio comes through the regular speakers).

Can/Should I use Media Player 11.0 or RealAudo or some other product. I tried Media Player 11.0 and couldn't understand if it wasn't capable or if I didn't configure correct, etc.

Thanks for your help. I'll cover the whole setup on my boat, as I've spent a few dollars and used a few brain cells and spent time getting it all figured out. This is one of the last pieces (famous last words).

Thanks,

Michael

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Need Video Player for Laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:46:10 AM »

I want to watch TV on my laptop (video only is necessary, audio comes through the regular speakers).

Not sure how this will fit into your plan... but the only way I have ever watched TV on a PC is with a TV device (card). Now there are USB TV Devices.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »

GWMichael
How are you  getting the TV signal to the PC?
Via internet ,video input(VA11A) or some other means?
(video only is necessary, audio comes through the regular speakers).
Does this mean you can hear the TV without the Laptop and you only wish to send the video to your laptop?
Sorry for the extra questions but I don't want to recommended the wrong things! ;)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

GWMichael

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:43:52 PM »

I have a Clarion marine entertainment package. This consists of FM/AM/CD/ receiver/CD player, 6 CD changer, Sirus satellite radio receiver, and Clarion TV Tuner, into a Clarion 400 watt amp with two 6 inch speakers and one 10 inch speaker, all on a 20 foot boat with air conditioning, generator, shore power converters, 3 batteries and gas grill. Quite a nice setup on such a small boat!

When I change the mode to TV, the sound comes out the speakers and sounds great. I have an audio signal coming out of the TV Tuner into a small DVD Player. Therein lies the problem; small screen on the player. I want a larger screen, but I want to maximize the things I carry, ergo, the laptop serving as a monitor for the TV.

I purchased the adapter from X-10 (VA11 sounds familiar, but I can't remember the exact name) and it takes a RCA plug input TV signal and outputs it into a USB connector. Kinda cool. Like I mentioned I know I have an audio signal in the computer, because I was able to capture the stream to a file and then view the file. However, I want to watch the TV live.

Thanks,

Michael
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:52:04 PM by GWMichael »

GWMichael

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the radar and the satellite weather system. When I get the cell phone tethering worked out so it doesn't cost an arm and leg (Verizon) I'll have broadband internet also.

People kid me and say I need to tow a boat behind me to carry all my stuff.  ;D

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 01:15:40 PM »

Nice setup! ;)
Since you're using the VA11A to put the Video on the laptop any web cam software will work as a viewer( it should have the option)!
Set your system up to transmite the TV video via the VA11A to your PC. Next open a webcam software and tell it your VA11A is the video source!
Some have the ability to show your steaming video full screen others not.
It has been a while since I used Xray Visson but if I remember it was capable of full screen viewing and free from X10.
Note: you only need the XRay Vision Server Download ;)
Hope this helps  ;)
Cheers
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

GWMichael

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »

Thanks.

I'll see what I can do to get it set up and let you know if it worked.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.