Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: WS12a Lights coming on by themselves - Help!  (Read 9098 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: WS12a Lights coming on by themselves - Help!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »

Good luck getting X10 to replace them. This is likely a combination of inductive spikes and vulnerable switches. Various X10 switches have exhibited this vulnerability for several years.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »

Considering that the OP purchased 39 in a single order (presumably from x10.com directly), I would imagine X10 would be a little more open to helping than they typically are.  Last time I tried to get an RMA, they were willing to help too, but it was a silly problem.  One of my MS16A motion sensors was missing one of the clear rubber grommets/o-rings that slip over the mounting screw.  X10 was not willing to send me a single o-ring and would only swap the whole unit.  Since the unit would have tested OK, I'm sure they would have charged me 15% restocking or something stupid.  Plus, I'd be paying shipping one or two ways all for a $0.05 bit of rubber.  I just used silicone obviously.

PG

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

Update

Just to let everyone know, I spoke with Bill at X10 support and he has been great.  While they are not aware of any manufacturer issues with the latest version of WS12a switches, they are going to replace the faulty switches I have running in my home.  In total, I have 22 faulty switches out of 39 ordered and so this is great.  I have been very happy with the level of support offered by X10.  I have read some less than stellar reports, however, my experience has been very good.  Which, as we all know, is often not the case today with most companies, let alone mail order/internet based ones.

I want to thank everyone for their time and attention to help be work through the potential issues with these switches.  Your advise and wisdom was extremely valuable to me in diagnosing these problems and invaluable to me as I worked through the process with X10.

Many thanks, and I'll keep everyone informed of the progress with the new swtiches.

Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:46 AM »

Thanks for the update. I hope the replacements are better.
Keep us in the loop.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »

Yeah, I hope the replacements work for you.  Though, I'm a bit skeptical that replacements will be a complete fix if 22 of 39 were faulty (~60%).  Of course, if you ordered them at one time, then I would assume they all came from a single batch which could have been close to tolerance.  Hopefully this new set will be from a different/better batch!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »

Though, I'm a bit skeptical that replacements will be a complete fix if 22 of 39 were faulty (~60%). 
Yeah bkenobi, I think you are right.
PG let us know if the replacements fix your problem.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

PG

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »

Update:

Bill at X10 has been quite good in terms of knowledge and support.  I spoke with him the entire time and he processed the RMA.  Sadly, we are in a holding pattern as we wait for stock of WS12 replacement switches to come into inventory. With no ETA in sight, I'm fearful that if this goes past July, I will be over 1 year since purchase and this could pose a problem with the RMA. I'll keep everyone informed as this progresses.

Thanks,

PG

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »

PG, You are on record as having issues before the warranty is over.
Not your fault X10 has a supply problem.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »

Agreed.  As long as they have started the RMA (or at least noted in the system that you are waiting for stock to process the RMA) prior to the warranty expiration, you should be good.  It's still unacceptable IMO that this should have dragged out for a year, but at least it looks like you are making progress on a solution!

PG

Update - June 25th, 2013
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »

Still awaiting stock of WS12a switches from X10.  Boy, this is sure taking a long time.  Very frustrated here going on to one year of problems with these switches.  I've discovered that hard switching each switch to off eliminates the problem of switches turning on by themselves, but it certainly defeats the purpose of having these fancy switches that can be remote controlled.

If anyone has any suggestions on alternatives (switch models or other hardware) I'd certainly appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks,

PG

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »

If you have not contacted X10 recently. You may want to contact them.
A web search of four independent X10 dealers. All showed they have WS12As in stock.

When you use the safety bulb change disconnect switch on the WS12A. You basically disconnect it from the circuit. So it can't go back On.

The location where the WS12As are. Do they have a Neutral Power wire in the switch box? As finding an alternate switch may involve ones that need a Neutral power connections and don't steal power through the light bulbs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:38:11 AM by Brian H »

PG

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »

Well I'm surprised to see this forum back up.

I have given up on X10.  I ended up pulling all 46 swtiches out of my home after getting stonewalled by X10.  They basically ignored the fact that I've been waiting on an RMA for over a year, and when they went through the re orgainzation, they are ignoring my RMA.

So, let this be a warning to everyone, X10 can't be trusted.

Junk.

And, the worst service ever.  Stay away!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »

It should be noted that X10 went belly up in August and has been taken over by another company.
They are honoring some returns so it may be worth trying to contact them.
Note: the bought the X10 domain.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Kevin22

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

They aren't honoring jack.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »

I wouldn't expect them to look after any old issues.
However they had stated originally they would look after some RMAs, specifically those for the Airsight IP cameras.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.