Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS16A Motion Sensor  (Read 6193 times)

gunga64

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MS16A Motion Sensor
« on: July 14, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »

I what I planned on doing is placing motion sensor zones in my yard. One will be 5 feet from the transceiver another will be 30 feet and the other about 40 feet. Will the transceiver be able to pick up those motion sensor units? All units will be set to the one transceiver setting.

Also I am assuming the transceiver has some kind of relay. So that I can use an AC adapter with it. I tried using a Zenith type
unit and it blew 2 AC adapters. Am I right here?

I would like to use the MS16A motion sensor outside to pick up motion that a cat may give will this unit pick that up or is it too small? Also is the range really limited to 20 feet for detection?

Sorry for so many questions.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 08:17:22 PM by gunga64 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: MS16A Motion Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:42:01 PM »

I what I planned on doing is placing motion sensor zones in my yard. One will be 5 feet from the transceiver another will be 30 feet and the other about 40 feet. Will the transceiver be able to pick up those motion sensor units? All units will be set to the one transceiver setting.

It's hard to say. Forty feet is easily within range of the (TM751) transceiver. However local conditions can always change things. Splitting the difference between the 5 foot and forty foot placement would be best.... even if you use an extention cord.

Also I am assuming the transceiver has some kind of relay. So that I can use an AC adapter with it. I tried using a Zenith type
unit and it blew 2 AC adapters. Am I right here?

The transceiver has a relay that "clicks" on and off, providing you with regular AC current. I don't know what sort of device you plan to use... you might want to go into more detail.

I would like to use the MS16A motion sensor outside to pick up motion that a cat may give will this unit pick that up or is it too small? Also is the range really limited to 20 feet for detection?

The sensor should detect a cat under most normal conditions. But I am not sure it will detect CATS at 20 feet.

Sorry for so many questions.

Not a problem.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »

Three motion sensors on the same address, could be a problem. If more than one detects motion and sends at the same time. Not a given just something to think about.

The Transceivers RR501 and TM751; both have a mechanical ratchet switch in them like a relay. They both also have a sensing circuit on them to detect if the switch is on or off. This puts a small amount of current on the AC Output Socket at all times. I measured 0.55ma AC and 0.0ma DC on a RR501 and 0.28ma AC or 0.22ma DC on a TM751. Difference between a RR501 and a TM751 is the sensing circuit and if it has both a AC and DC component.
Do you know if the AC adapters you tried are the standard ones with a small power transformer in it? This small current should not burn out a adapter. Now if it is one of those newer Switching Power Supplies; we are now seeing. Maybe this current may effect them. I have no direct data on this.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »

Three motion sensors on the same address, could be a problem. If more than one detects motion and sends at the same time. Not a given just something to think about.

Any situation where more than one RF Motion Sensor can be triggered within several seconds (W.A.G.: 7) *WILL* cause problems, even if they are on different HouseCodes and/or UnitCodes because of the total time required to transmit the RF (twice) and then transceive the RF into PLC (twice again). If another sequence is triggered before the first COMPLETELY finishes, collisions may (more than likely *WILL*) occur.
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 02:53:27 PM »

Any situation where more than one RF Motion Sensor can be triggered within several seconds (W.A.G.: 7) *WILL* cause problems, even if they are on different HouseCodes and/or UnitCodes because of the total time required to transmit the RF (twice) and then transceive the RF into PLC (twice again). If another sequence is triggered before the first COMPLETELY finishes, collisions may (more than likely *WILL*) occur.

You can add your neighbors RF transmissions to this list.  If you have any RF transceived it is an access point to your home powerline.

I have 2 neighbors with X10 and some nice capable RF remotes.  After struggling with RF transceived powerline collisions I eliminated all of my transceivers.  The CM15a is the only RF access point and I have nothing transceived.  The only way things are placed on the powerline is through macros.  This obviously won't work if you want to use your RF remote to dim a lamp (not appropriate for many installations).  I've gotten around this by programming "macro scenes" and using receivers with preset dim capability. 

gunga64

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »

The adapters that blew on the zenith type transeiver unit are transformer based. I tested it prior with my x10 transeiver and it seems to work fine. Was not sure how it would work over time though. The zenith blew one of the adapters on the first attempt the other a dc adapter took about 5 tries to blow. I noticed that the zenith didn't click so figured the output is more semiconductor based then relay. That output really should be issolated or zenith needs to stop selling those units. It even blew out a 3 watt bulb I had installed on it after a few dozen uses.

The adapter I plan on using with the transeiver is a 24VAC 7VA adapter that uses a transformer.

It worries me that the sender units can't work together if they get tripped near the same time. Not sure if that will occur or not. But the zones are close to each other. depends on the delay it takes the unit to complete its cycle. I will also be setting the sender units to 1 minute cycle. But even then they could be tripped between cycles.

Hopefully a cat can trigger the motion detector unit. It's not an easy thing to test.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:10:02 AM by gunga64 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:10:21 PM »

FWIW

RE: Cat detection.

I use an "ActiveEye" motion sensor to trigger a 25 minute cycle of my "Pepe LePew Sweet Fragrance Generator and Decontamination Unit" (patent pending) in the room where the kitty commode litter box resides (unfortunately a bathroom shared by humans also, hence the need of "Pepe LePew" unit,  patent pending). :D

The ActiveEye is mounted at floor level and will detect the cats at a good 12 feet, which is the width of the room. I suspect they might tigger even farther, but room size is the limiting factor.

Hope that helps.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gunga64

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »

Sounds a bit more promising dave W. When you say floor level do you just basically place it on the floor or is it elevated a few inches. I seem to have problems getting motion sensors to work when they are close to the floor. But at least the darn thing triggers on small animals. Really need it to scan 90 degree and scan as far as it canl. I think outside the scan works further with these types of devices. 20 feet is somewhat limited.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:55:00 PM by gunga64 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 02:35:17 PM »

gunga64

No mine are at floor level. I hot glue an ActiveEye, EagleEye, etc. to the back of a 2-D cell battery holder and power the mounted Motion Sensorfrom the D cells. I stick some rubber feet on the bottom of the holder. The D cell MS "package" will now stand upright and it allows me move  motion sensors around the house when needed. The disadvantage is, the battery holder prevents the MS package from being mounted by screws through the back of the MS.

However if you use the MS outside, I think you are correct in thinking it will work better if raised a bit. 
I think you may also have some problems with small animal detection during the day in the summer months.

I use one of the described MS packages on back patio as a raccoon detector near our humming bird feeder. Apparently word around the raccoon neighborhood is we have opened a free juice bar on our patio. It works fine at night, but during the heat of the day it has trouble seeing squirrels, sometimes it triggers, most times it don't.

But good luck.

gunga64

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »

hahah, not bad. As far as I am concerned my zones can be shut off during the day. These animals seem to get in at night. I like the
D pack. I do something like that with my no-brand mp3 player.

I would have to waterproof mine to work outside that way. Have you had extended run times using ni-cads? I have a feeling they
don't last that long over time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 02:47:20 PM by gunga64 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »

I would have to waterproof mine to work outside that way.

I think only the MS13 isn't weather resistant. The battery holder itself doesn't need weather proofing. I suppose you should try to protect from rain, since it would soften the carboard shell of typical D cells. A metal jacketed D cell probably would not have to protected (that is really a question).

Have you had extended run times using ni-cads

If you are refering to usage of the "D" cells, no. A "D" cell alkaline will outlast a NiCad or NMH because the rechargable's self discharge rate which is somewhere between  0.5 and 1 percent, per day. My motion sensors are running 12 to 18 months with alkaline "D" cells.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.