Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glass Break detectors GB10A  (Read 5706 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Glass Break detectors GB10A
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:12:57 PM »

Say I know x10 doesn't sell these things anymore but I've found some and I'm curious as to how they work. Do they actually listen for the sound of broken glass or do they have to physically be in contact with the glass and just sense the vibration, if that's the case I'll just use a door/window contact and attach a glass break detector to it. Thanks!

Tcj

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Glass Break detectors GB10A
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »

FWIW

I have heard for years that these "were tuned to the sound of breaking glass". Poodle gas! Every one I ever took apart (round, disk shaped, 1/4 to 1/5 inch high with 6" to 10" round wire for connection to alarm panel) was nothing more than a mercury switch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »

FWIW

I have heard for years that these "were tuned to the sound of breaking glass". Poodle gas! Every one I ever took apart (round, disk shaped, 1/4 to 1/5 inch high with 6" to 10" round wire for connection to alarm panel) was nothing more than a mercury switch.

Thanks, say tell me how does a mercury switch work anyway. Yep that's the was it was advertised that it was "tuned to the sound" just hype I guess.

tcj

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 01:14:32 PM »

I believe the GB10A uses a a pendulum affair which is sensitive to vibration.

The round "glass breakage detectors" available from Radio Shack etc for $4 to $10 or so, are the mercury switches or ("tilt switches") I was referring to. It is just a blob of mercury in a glass capsule which also contains a set of contacts. When the capsule is tilted the mercury runs down and shorts the contacts, providing a switch closure to be sent to the alarm panel.

tom j

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:14:34 PM »

I believe the GB10A uses a a pendulum affair which is sensitive to vibration.

The round "glass breakage detectors" available from Radio Shack etc for $4 to $10 or so, are the mercury switches or ("tilt switches") I was referring to. It is just a blob of mercury in a glass capsule which also contains a set of contacts. When the capsule is tilted the mercury runs down and shorts the contacts, providing a switch closure to be sent to the alarm panel.

Thanks got ya! boy so it doesn't really listen and has to be in physical contact with the surface it's monitoring. Well I see why they discontinued it. As a matter of fact I can't understand why they would have even introduced it. This thing should of never made it to market, maybe they didn't think they would run across someone as smart as you!

Tcj

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:04:21 PM »

tom j

No the glass breakage detectors have been around for a long time. They are not specific to X10 nor an "invention" of X10.  When I first read your question I did not realize you were asking specifically about the X10 GB10A. I am fairly certain the GB10A uses a vibation detector and not a mercury "tilt" switch. At least the vibration detector will trigger without the glass actually breaking. The "tilt" style detectors pretty much depend on the glass shattering so their orientation is changed.

There may truely be glass breakage detectors "tuned to the sound of breaking glass" but I would guess them to be fairly expensive. They would have to be smart enough to distinguish between the sound of breaking glass and...say a wind chime tinkling.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 12:05:29 AM »

tom j

No the glass breakage detectors have been around for a long time. They are not specific to X10 nor an "invention" of X10.  When I first read your question I did not realize you were asking specifically about the X10 GB10A. I am fairly certain the GB10A uses a vibation detector and not a mercury "tilt" switch. At least the vibration detector will trigger without the glass actually breaking. The "tilt" style detectors pretty much depend on the glass shattering so their orientation is changed.

There may truely be glass breakage detectors "tuned to the sound of breaking glass" but I would guess them to be fairly expensive. They would have to be smart enough to distinguish between the sound of breaking glass and...say a wind chime tinkling.

Yes I was specifically referring to the GB10A that's why I specially put it in the title. And yes there are a lot of glass break detectors that are specially engineered with specific algorithms to detect the sound of breaking glass and actually they aren't that expensive, say around 30 bucks for a hardwired version. I've bought three to go in my new hardwired alarm system. The DS 7000 has served me well for about 8 years but it's time to move on now pulse I want fire detection, and you can get monitoring for as cheap as 8.95 a month!! You can always hook up a glass break detector to a door window sensor along with a power supply which is what I would do if I was going to stay with x10. And believe it or not there are a lot of wireless and hardwired systems out there that will call you in the event of an alarm, and without the necessity of monitoring.

Tcj

http://homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=508

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »

cool. I gotta get one of these.
Thanks!

tom j

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »

cool. I gotta get one of these.
Thanks!

Hi glad I could help, this is where I buy all my equipment for my new hardwired/wireless system my new system is a hybrid the bulk being wired but I have wireless sensors in the garage and on some of the doors that would have been difficult to run wires from. Say check out some of their wireless systems just click on wireless, and check out the features. Most allow you to call in and check the status of the system and are x10 compatible so that you can control your lights remotely some even allow you to control your home via the internet like My House!!

Tc

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.