🔌General Home Automation > User Modified Devices

Modified XPFM units for ceiling fan control?

(1/4) > >>

Pele:
Looks like through searches that there is very little ability to control ceiling fan speeds with X10.
Has anyone ever dismantled an XPFM module and replaced the relay with a DPDT relay?

Concept is as follows:

Cons:
Requires custom work/soldering/knowledge of electronics.
Might not fit in ceiling fan enclosure.
Requires two X10 IDs and potentially macros to control speeds.

Pros:
Uses existing fan windings; less chance of buzzing noise.
Simple, easy to understand.
No unintended configurations; all combinations of units on/off accounted for.

dave w:
I don't have a XPFM to pop the top, but I believe it uses a pulsed solenoid, ratcheting a cam which opens and closes a set of contacts, similar to the Appliance Module. good idea though.

If you can find the space and are in DIY mode, try the "Dr Ed Cheung No Hum X10 Fan Control". At one point (like in the 90's ) Ed contemplated etching boards and kiting his control. He promised to let me know if he went through with the idea. All I got was crickets, but he was working at NASA at the time, and he should be retired by now. Maybe board enough to do a little side business

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/nohum.htm

FWIW the Smarthome/insteon fan control also uses reactors to control motor speed, like Cheung's, however the unit made a slight buzz on low on a Hunter, but quiet on a Harbor Breeze. so mileage may vary.

https://www.smarthome.com/fanlinc-insteon-2475f-ceiling-fan-and-light-controller-fixture-module-dual-band.html

Pele:
If I could find the X10 78566 or 78570 receiver chips, that's where I was going with this.
I'm very much a hardware guy... Screwdrivers and soldering irons.
But if I have to try my hand at futzing with a PIC microcontroller, then I'll do it.

I was gonna reuse his diagrams for the AM486 appliance module and etch it using all SMT parts and a pair of "ice cube" style relays.
I want it tiny so that it'll fit in the J-box or preferably in the housing of the ceiling fan.

Brian H:
Some information. You may find interesting. What you are mentioning sounds like the older models that we could find schematics for.

The Lamp Module {Soft Start ramp on and off} and Appliance Modules{CFL Friendly} where both redesigned. With a new Micro-Controller Sonix SN8P2501B. The power supplies where also around 3.3 Volts DC. Those I have not seen any schematics of. I did a few sketches of the power supply areas.

Dave is right on the XPFM has a pulsed coil On Off Ratchet switch in it. It also has the ratchet switch on or off sensor current on the output. That type switch is pulsed by an SCR and it is single around a 120 volt half wave DC pulse. In to the coil.

The appliance modules also have the pulsed ratchet switches and on off sensor. I have not seen a constant On or Off signal you can use.

Pele:
Darnit...

Now I've gotta go and design a power supply that'll convert 120 VAC down to 5 VDC @ a couple ma as small as possible, make a microcontroller detect zero crossings, AND have it read bits off the 120 VAC line at zero crossing.

I was hoping to NOT have to reinvent the wheel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version