Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SocketRocket LM15A  (Read 4067 times)

ghelman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SocketRocket LM15A
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:47:23 PM »

I am new to the forum. Hello to everyone. Just started trying some X10 products. I received a socket rocket and after some trial and error was able to change the codes through AHP as I have no remotes. The problem is, is that the socket rocket will work fine sitting on my computer desk two feet from the CM15A. Other than that it will not work. I was hoping to use this on my front porch. Any ideas or help in extending the range on this?

Thanks
George   

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: SocketRocket LM15A
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »

ghelman,

Firstly, welcome to the forums!   >!

First thought that comes to mind is make sure the CM15A (computer to powerline interface) is plugged directly into a wall socket.  Plugging it in to a power strip / surge suppressor, or a UPS will most often keep it from putting enough (or any) signal onto the power line.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »

And to add to bills idea. Try and make sure that's its not plugged into the same outlet has the computer. The computer gives of powerline noise that can mess with the signal. Same with TVs.

And do you have a phase coupler in your set up? This will ensure the x10 signal can jump to the other side of your breaker box.
http://www.smarthome.com/4816a2.html?src=WG1002139 this is a plug in one if you need one. and they also have hard wired ones.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »

I am new to the forum. Hello to everyone.

Welcome to the forums ghelman (George)

Just started trying some X10 products.

There is a lot of info here on the forums... be sure to try some "searches" it can save tons of time.

I received a socket rocket and after some trial and error was able to change the codes through AHP as I have no remotes. The problem is, is that the socket rocket will work fine sitting on my computer desk two feet from the CM15A. Other than that it will not work. I was hoping to use this on my front porch. Any ideas or help in extending the range on this?

The CM15A does have some limited range for RF reception.... but for the PLC (the signal sent over the power line) like the SocketRocket uses... (normally) works fine. You may have some signal sucking or line noise problems. Lots of information about both are here on the forum. Bill- (of wgjohns.com) has a good comment... and you may want to search mapping Circuts.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:09:42 AM »

ghelman; Welcome to the world of X10.

It does sound like you have a signal power line problem from your controller to the LM15A. Another problem could be units are on opposite phases of the other. Most homes are wired split single phase and X10 signal sometimes have a problem getting from one phase to the other.

Other places with troubleshooting data you may want to look at:

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:40:15 AM by JeffVolp »

ghelman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »

Thanks all for the advice. I was able to move my cm15a to another outlet. My portble light that I am using for tesing works fine as long as it is in the same outlet as the cm15a. I did read several articles that were recommended. I may have a phase or noise issue and I am willing to spend a little extra money for a better product.  Does anyone have experience with the XTB? Or, at this point is it better to try a less expensive fix. By the way the only way I could connect to another outlet was with an extension cord. My computer is not located near another outlet. Does that create a problem? Thanks again   

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:28:32 AM »

.............. the only way I could connect to another outlet was with an extension cord. My computer is not located near another outlet. Does that create a problem?

My CM15A is on an extention cord, and I have even used a USB extention (for a total of 16 feet) to get everything clear of my PC. I use a simple passive phase coupler on my setup. However I think for most people a more aggressive approach (XTB) is desireable. I didn't start out to have a larger setup... mine sorta snuck up on me.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »

I also use a extension cord with no problems. I bought the phase coupler that just plugs into your dryer outlet then the dryer plugs into it. It works great. and the best part it don't require any wiring.   
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 10:41:42 AM »

...Does anyone have experience with the XTB?...
Yes and I'm very happy with it. I also have a plug in dryer outlet phase coupler and filters on every UPS (6+) and surge strip in my house. I also have filters for things like laptop, cell and other chargers. Since charges can be a signal suckers, I even set a charging station in my walk in closet. I have a power strip plugged into a filter that I plug all my chargers into.
I don't have the link off the top of my hands but Jeff's (XTB's designer) site has some excellent information on dealing with X10 PLC signal. Jeff has done extensive research for the design of the XTB products.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.