Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whole home surge protector working with something like Jeff Volp's XTBII ????  (Read 2978 times)

DaveDavis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I owned an X-10 system since 1998.  It's always worked until last month.  That's when I had a tree removed.  A small branch fell and bounced on the overhead power line going to feed my house.  It caused my neighbor's line to bounce too.  ( this was a small branch not much thicker than an axe handle )
Anyway the lines feeding the house next door where really in bad shape.  Squirrels, it seems, had been having a field day chewing.  Any how, the "bouncing" power cable produced one heck of a SURGE.  Several things got toasted, flood lights, new washer, power strips, and my good old X-10 serial interface. It was charred inside.  So I sprang for a new X-10 Pro setup.  Now, I seem to have some things work and other modules that don't all the time.  I have have a house loaded with PC's, TV, CFLs... basically the things that can interfere with the X-10 signal.  I have given serious thought to Jeff Volp's XTB II.  It seems that would be the most logical answer.  Now here's where it might get interesting.  I would like to install a whole home surge protector in my panel.  How would something like that and something like the XTB or some kind of signal booster work together???   From what I read, a surge protector causes problems with X-10 signals. 
Any thoughts?   A whole home surge protector is appealing ( if it works ) but I'd love to get my X-10 modules working all the time.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

Leviton states that their 51110-PTC whole house surge protector is "DHC Power Line Carrier Compatible".  (DHC is Leviton's name for their X10 system.)  I use that unit here.  In addition to providing 120/240V surge protection, it also will protect cable TV and satelite coax lines.

If you can't find a good price on it, I do have one listed on the X10 and Leviton electrical items page.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

......... but I'd love to get my X-10 modules working all the time.

I feel your pain.

It's always scary to read about a system that goes to crap. Last spring, I had a lighting strike in my backyard. It killed every camera I had that wasn't stored away in my extra parts box. Some appliance modules stopped working... but changing the code [they use] seemed to work on all but one.

The lighting strike also killed a TV, and a UPS failed but wasn't detected until the next power outage. The damage caused by such a surge can make a device that has never been a problem... become a noise maker... and/or greatly reduce the lifespan of the device. It might be a good time to remap your circuits and test your X10 devices in a controlled environment.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.