💬General Category > General Discussion

Revamp X-10

<< < (2/3) > >>

TakeTheActive:

--- Quote from: arf1410 on September 05, 2007, 12:14:27 AM ---
And I do not believe the X10 Company actually developed the X10 protocol.  Can someone verify that?
--- End quote ---

Why don't *YOU* GOOGLE it and report back with your findings...

Brian H:
I also would do a search. I found the X10 patents in one of my searches.
Also until they expired. X10 MADE you use a TW523 or PL513 Interface to use X10 signals with your equipment. If not a lawyer maybe calling you.

arf1410:
taken from the smarthome website:

"A Brief History of X10 - The X10 Power Line Carrier (PLC) technology was originally developed in the 1970s by Pico Electronics in Scotland. Pico formed a joint venture with BSR in 1978 called X-10 Ltd. and the first shipments of X10 products began in 1979. Over the 18 years that followed, millions of X10 compatible devices have shipped and the number of different X10 compatible products has grown from a handful in 1979 to hundreds today. X-10 Ltd. bought out BSR’s interest in 1987. The original X10 patent expired in December 1997. X10 is now an open standard and many manufacturers are developing new and improved X10 products."

which supports my premise that X-10 keeps prices down by doing little development work.  Has the basic lamp module changed much (if at all) since the mid 1980s?

Brian H:
Yes the new Lamp Modules now have soft start and act differently with dim commands. I believe the new Wall Switches also do.
So things have changed but took a long time.

Dan Lawrence:
It would have been nice if X10USA would have either given both a new number or suffixed an N after the current number, but apparently that's not how X10USA does things.

The only way we found out was people bought some and had problems.   >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version