Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [FireCracker] I Get a 6/7 sec. Delay From the PalmPad Remote to the Lamp Module?  (Read 5740 times)

ellada

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have had good success using the firecracker starter kit. But I get a 6/7 sec. delay from the Palm Pad Remote Control to the Lamp Module. Is anything I can do ti fix it or it takes that much time to turned them off/on?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Stella

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

I have had good success using the firecracker starter kit. But I get a 6/7 sec. delay from the Palm Pad Remote Control to the Lamp Module. Is anything I can do ti fix it or it takes that much time to turned them off/on?

The Firecracker Starter Kit I'm familiar with is this one:  http://www.x10.com/automation/ck18a_s_ps32.html
Is this what you have?

If so, then the PalmPad should be sending an RF signal to the TM751 Transceiver and the TM751 should be transceiving this to a powerline signal which turns On the Lamp Module.  The delay between pressing the button on the PalmPad and the lamp turning On should be no more than about 1 second.

Let's start with the RF signal from the PalmPad to the TM751:
If you press the On and Off buttons for Unit #1 on the PalmPad, you should almost instantly hear loud clicks from the TM751's built-in appliance module relay.  Do you?  (Try it with the PalmPad no more than 2 or 3 feet from the TM751.)  If it takes several seconds for the audible click, possible problems could be:
  1. Defective PalmPad (Does the LED on the PalmPad flash steadily when you hold down the button?)
  2. Defective TM751
  3. Unusually high level of RF interference from some other appliance.  (This would be rare at that frequency).

If I correctly infer from your message that turning the Lamp module On and Off using the Firecracker module and X10's Firecracker software from your computer works fine, then I'd conclude you probably have a defective PalmPad.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

ellada

First of all I would like to thank you for your help.
Yes, I do have: http://www.x10.com/automation/ck18a_s_ps32.html.
And yes, when I pressthe On/Off buttons for Unit #1 on the Palm Pad, I do hear instantly loud clicks from the TM751's. Now the funny thing is, when I unplugged the TM751, I had no more than ½ sec. delay to turn the lamp module on!! Is ithat normal? I thought the TM75 should be plugged in at all times in order to distribute the RF signal . Am I wrong?

Stella

Charles Sullivan

First of all I would like to thank you for your help.
Yes, I do have: http://www.x10.com/automation/ck18a_s_ps32.html.
And yes, when I pressthe On/Off buttons for Unit #1 on the Palm Pad, I do hear instantly loud clicks from the TM751's. Now the funny thing is, when I unplugged the TM751, I had no more than ½ sec. delay to turn the lamp module on!! Is ithat normal? I thought the TM75 should be plugged in at all times in order to distribute the RF signal . Am I wrong?

Ahah!  If you can control the Lamp Module with the PalmPad but without the TM751 plugged in, that means you have some other device which is acting as the transceiver.  (Signal interference on the powerline between the TM751 and this other device is the reason for the long delay you have experienced.)

Do you have a CM15A ActiveHome Pro?  It can transceive RF to powerline.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

ellada

No, I do not have a CM15A ActiveHome Pro, but I have a personal assistance dialer. Do you think that interferes the signal on the power line between the TM751 and the module?

Charles Sullivan

No, I do not have a CM15A ActiveHome Pro, but I have a personal assistance dialer. Do you think that interferes the signal on the power line between the TM751 and the module?

I don't know how your dialer works, so can't say.  But you can try unplugging it from the wall to see if it makes any difference.

If you are living in an apartment or otherwise in close proximity to your neighbors, it's possible one of them also has a TM751 or other X10 transceiver and it's transceiving the signals from your PalmPad.  If that's the case, then changing your Lamp Module, TM751, and PalmPilot to a different housecode ought to solve the problem.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

ellada

Thank you very much for your help!

Charles Sullivan

Thank you very much for your help!

Please let us know what you find out.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

No, I do not have a CM15A ActiveHome Pro, but I have a personal assistance dialer...

I don't know how your dialer works, so can't say...

On my way out now (so no time for thorough research but), IIRC the Personal Assistance Dialer is a 'modification' to the basic DS7000 Security Base Controller (less features) which means that it's also a TRANSCEIVER. If the PA Dialer has a HouseCode, be sure that it's set to a DIFFERENT one than the TM751. Or just put the TM751 in a drawer and let the PA Dialer do the job.

As previously stated, having both on the same HouseCode will cause problems...
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

ellada

You are absolutely right; the personal assistance dialer acts as a transceiver,
and I already put the TM751 in the drawer
Actually I still have both on the same HouseCode (lamp module/dialer) and so far I do not have any problems. When I trigged the dialer’s panic button the lamp module turned on too.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.