Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting Close to Working out bugs, but......  (Read 5552 times)

lee911

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Getting Close to Working out bugs, but......
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:06:22 PM »

- Using a CM15A with AHP version 3.271
- various WS12A's that all work via Macros, Timers and PalmPad Remotes

The problem is with the TWO WS13A's (for CFL's). One is installed in a detached garage (approx 50 feet ffrom house) and the other is in the basement. When installed they both worked manually at the switch AND with the PalmPad. But I wanted them setup with timers and macros, which wouldn't work. I then investigated line noise and found the culprit (Monster surge bar and tv)- I removed the surge bar and put a noise filter on the tv. Now we're getting somewhere!! I set up a test macro (B4 trigger= turns on B2, 2 second delay, turn on B3, 5 minute delay, turn off B2, 2 second delay turn off B3). They power on and five minutes later ONLY B2 (basement) turns off, while the garage on B3 doesn't turn off. Same goes with a timer, the B3 switch at the garage does not turn off. I have "repeat" set with "store in interface".

What could be causing this??

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Getting Close to Working out bugs, but......
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »

Try substituting an incandescent bulb in B3 fixture.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »

I suspect it's 3.271.   All 3.271 is 3.236 (Known Buggy version) with support for the CM19A added, so you get a buggy version that causes timers and macros to not work properly.    Check the Forums for how to downgrade to 3.228, the last good version of AHP.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

lee911

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:15:51 AM »

- Dan I will try 3.228, thanks.

- Dave I put an Incadescent in B3 and the Macros did NOT turn off B3 after 5 minutes. However, the daily timer I have set for B3 did turn off as scheduled. Something it didn't do before. What's the difference with the bulbs? I did install the WS13A's specifically for the CFL's.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:36:37 AM »

Some brand CFLs can make power line noise or their input may have a capacitor in it for noise. When the WS13A is On the bulb could be killing the X10 signal enough for it not to go Off.
You may want to try a different brand CFL.
They also make small X10 filters that can be used between the switch and the CFL load.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:16 PM »

- Dan I will try 3.228, thanks.

- Dave I put an Incadescent in B3 and the Macros did NOT turn off B3 after 5 minutes. However, the daily timer I have set for B3 did turn off as scheduled. Something it didn't do before. What's the difference with the bulbs? I did install the WS13A's specifically for the CFL's.
Brian already explained what I was thinking...a noisy CFL. I would try changing CFL brands as a start.

FWIW I use GE CFLs and although noisy, they are not an issue for X10 signal. Sams Club has them faily cheap.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »

I suspect it's 3.271.   All 3.271 is 3.236 (Known Buggy version) with support for the CM19A added, so you get a buggy version that causes timers and macros to not work properly.    Check the Forums for how to downgrade to 3.228, the last good version of AHP.
Does anyone here know why Dan always goes to the version first? That isn't always the correct answer. In fact, I haven't seen very many cases lately where it WAS the correct answer. Most of the problems I've seen lately have been signal propagation or noise issues, for which changing the software would not be the proper fix.

Try substituting an incandescent bulb in B3 fixture.
I will put in another vote for "it might be a noisy CFL bulb).
If you've read some of my other posts lately, you'd know that a bad CFL (my neighbor's) can put out enough noise to mess up an X10 setup across the street (mine).

As suggested by others, try a different brand, and see if that helps. You might also want to try manually  (either from the software or from a PalmPad) triggering the lights in the sequence they would be done with the time (B2-On, B3-On, B2-Off, B3-Off), and see if that works. If not, then I would suspect the bulb in B3 first.
If you reverse the order (B3-On, B2-On, B3-Off, B2-Off), does it work? EVERY time?
If you see the opposite problem (B3 goes off, but not B2), then it might be both bulbs that are noisy.

I would try replacing both CFLs with incandescent bulbs, for testing. If everything works with the CFLs out of the picture, then it is likely that one or both of them is/are the source(s) of the problem.

Good luck.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44:56 PM »

Does anyone here know why Dan always goes to the version first? That isn't always the correct answer. In fact, I haven't seen very many cases lately where it WAS the correct answer. problem (B3 goes off, but not B2), then it might be both bulbs that are noisy.

A HELPFUL from me!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »

I think Dan's frustrated that in his testing of the newer versions,  they didn't work as well as the old ones.  Don't know why he's had such poor luck, but there might be some .xml issues that don't port well into the newer versions on the timer data.

For the record, it's 3.236 on all three machines here with the 3.239 drivers, and all has worked OK since day one of that version.

Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »

Where do the 3.239 drivers come from?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

Where do the 3.239 drivers come from?

good question!

Tuicemen sent me the link and I think it was on the FTP page.  I'll dig for it a bit.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »

Knightrider, let me get this one.

X10 USB Wireless Remote Drivers:    http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »

Knightrider, let me get this one.

X10 USB Wireless Remote Drivers:    http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

Hark! Do we hear a voice from X10?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:33 AM »

For the record, it's 3.236 on all three machines here with the 3.239 drivers, and all has worked OK since day one of that version.

I would like to add that I also haven't had any software-related issues that I know of, and I was using 3.236 from the time it came out until I upgraded to 3.271. I currently have it running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, with the 3.239 drivers (unless 3.271 updated them). I have been using the SmartMacros plugin since it was first released to the beta testers.

While I have seen a FEW other people report that they were able to fix issues by by reverting back to an older version, that is certainly not the majority. There is no real way to tell if those problems were really caused by the new version, or by a possibly corrupted file, or by some other software incompatibility on their PCs. To automatically blame EVERY issue on software is silly, and it is distracting to those of us who are actually trying to help the user fix the problem.

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »

Hark! Do we hear a voice from X10?

Not yet...Just a member trying to help.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.