Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking to add cameras to house via CAT5 cable?  (Read 3552 times)

tigarpup

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Looking to add cameras to house via CAT5 cable?
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:53:49 PM »

OK so here goes the NEWBIE POST!
javascript:void(0);
I am looking to add  cameras to my house for the obvious reasons. When I built my house a few years ago I anticipated the addition of cameras so I wired the house with cat5 cable to the locations that I wanted the cameras. All the wires come back to my office where my PC. For the past few years I have been trying to find the right cameras. Ones that will not be to out of place in the house so people will not feel like they are always being watched! Does any one know what type of cameras would allow me to utilize the cat5 cable to be able to provide Power, sound and video to the cameras and back to the PC. This is what I am looking to accomplish!

7 Cameras (Day/Night)
    4 inside (no need to move) Maybe something that looks like a motion sensor
    3 outside (2 I would like to be able to pan/tilt/Zoom)
PC System that would allow it to automatically to record when motion is detected. Would like sound and the ability to monitor from the web.

Also would like to be able to view the cameras from the TV. (saves me from having to get out of bed with a paranoid wife!)

I know this is quite the project for a newbie! But I never seem to pic something simple so why start now!~

Any help yous have to offer I would greatly appreciate it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Looking to add cameras to house via CAT5 cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »

I am not sure what your "obvious reasons" for the cameras are.

I have a camera setup myself. But I thought the "obvious reasons" for the cameras are to deter crime. Knowing full well that most break-ins and vandalism is caused by neighborhood kids... putting up cameras helps to keep them honest. All the neighbors and their kids know the cameras are there. And... because I am trying to deter/prevent crime... all my cameras are outside my home.

Most cameras will work well with the CAT5. You could even add in an IP camera or two.

X10 makes an awesome (although somewhat pricey) pan and tilt zoomable starlight vision camera (Sentinel). A top of the line outside camera. You could also put and IR camera on X10s Ninja... not (nearly) as good but nice and a low price.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:07:17 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tigarpup

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:32:53 AM »

Dave,
  Thanks for the insight. And yes my "Obvious Reason" is Deterrent of Crime! I would like to keep the inside of the house ascetically appealing but still have the ability to record in the even the home is broken into. As for the outside cameras by all means they are to be blatantly obvious to all.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »

I would like to keep the inside of the house ascetically appealing but still have the ability to record in the even the home is broken into.

I sometimes setup my IP camera when we are out-of-town. IP cameras with built-in Web servers are the easiest way to check-in on the house when not at home. And many IP cameras also have built in motion detection and email abilities as well. I really like emailed images and alerts. Someday (soon I hope) the email alerts and images will be directly to my phone.

Of course all this can be done very inexpensively using all X10 products and a half decent home PC.. as well. You can get very advanced with an X10 setup by adding the Active Home Pro (AHP) software suite (and the CM15A).

There are vast amounts of info everywhere about camera setups. But the best way to learn about cameras... IMHO.. is to own one. I generally recommend "buy a one camera deal" (from X10's deals) and test (and play with) it. You'll learn a bunch more about security cameras... and ultimately I think you'll be happier with your finshed project.

Keep reading (and searching) here at the forums. As well as asking questions. But I think.. getting your toes wet with a single camera... is much better than just jumping in.

Durango-Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »

Dave,
  Sorry to barge in here but this sounds like what I'm trying to do.  I want to have 2 outside wireless cameras  connected to my computer using AHP software.

I have the AHP software (1) XC22a B/W camera. (1) VR36A video Receiver.  (1) VA 12A USB digital converter.

I can power up the receiver, & camera hook it into a video in on my digital TV got a good picture.  When I plug the wire from receiver into the USB converter try to see it in AHP I get nothing.  I'm working with just one camera now that I want to put out by front door.  So far can't get a picture on computer. 
  Go into device manager it says the X10 VA12A video capture is working ok.  I have the camera & receiver sitting in same place where it works connected to tv, so nothing is moved there.

can you give me some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »

VA12A USB digital converter.........   I can power up the receiver, & camera hook it into a video in on my digital TV got a good picture.  When I plug the wire from receiver into the USB converter try to see it in AHP I get nothing. ............  Go into device manager it says the X10 VA12A video capture is working ok.  I have the camera & receiver sitting in same place where it works connected to tv, so nothing is moved there.

Hummm well... I did a search for VA12A and I found this:

The VA12A requires USB 2.0, and AHP 3.236 (on Vista and 7 PC's. On XP, it can be made work with 3.228) . It works BEST with Vista... but can be made to work on an XP PC. Make sure the device that device manager says is working correctly is actually the VA12A (not some camera or other such thing). You may need to install or reinstall the drivers (found here:  http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm).

You will also need a PC with enough memory and graphic abilities as well.

Durango-Kid

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »

Thanks Dave,
  I'll give this a try.  I have XP home, 4 meg ram  All my USB are 2.0 Tried direct into USB on computer & on a powered 7 port hub, nether works for picture so far.

Got a Sony laptop with Win-7 4 meg ram  might have to try it on this to see if I can at least get something working, only using one camera right now don't want to have to trouble shoot to many different things. .  If this works I have an old desktop that I can install W-7 on as I bought a couple extra copies when they were selling at 1/2 price. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:19:05 PM by Durango-Kid »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.