Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do these things really work?  (Read 9298 times)

uhclem

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Do these things really work?
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »

I bought 5 wireless floodcams and all the fixin's and after a week, I still can't get any of it to work!
I've called tech support many times, to no avail.
They said they'd email me for a level 2 tech call but but never did.
Are all you posters X10 staff??

I sure hope, if they won't help me set this up and make it work, they'll give me my money back!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Do these things really work?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »

Though some X10 Employees may read the forums on occasion. Most of us here are Volunteers or end users.
Many times we have had problems and found answers that X10 may not have.

Can you give some details on what problems you are having. Like fuzzy pictures etc.?
The X10 wiki has many good tips and fixes also.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are setup videos and tutorials on cameras and other devices here.
http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »

I bought 5 wireless floodcams and ... I still can't get any of it to work!

Not working... is a pretty broad description. I don't own a FloodCam myself... but I love the X10 floodlight and X10 cameras... and I have seriously considered buying the FloodCam. I've read many good things about the FloodCam.. and I like the concept too.

I understand the biggest problem users have with them is when they install/use the wrong bulbs. I think the directions specifies non-halogen and of a certain wattage. When halogen or high wattage bulbs are used... the unit can fail to turn On or Off.

What problems are you having?

So often I read where people are installing IR cameras. Whereas I do think seeing an IR camera glowing pinkish red at the dark peak of a roof line... MAY serve as a deterrent to a crime. Floodlights provide a known deterrent to crime. I know from my own setup... just walking around the house at night... with additional sets of lights coming on with every few steps. Neighborhood dogs bark... and I can feel neighbors looking out their windows.

Of course... I've gone a step further too and added a "Voice warning announcement". You can see it action at my YouTube Channel.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:12:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

uhclem

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

Quote from: Brian H
<snip>
Can you give some details on what problems you are having. Like fuzzy pictures etc.?

Thanx Brian. Yes, the problems I'm having is no picture. Oh, once I saw a picture of one of my cams (the farthest away one) but only if I hold on to the antenna thingy (technical term) attached to my PC and stretched my arms out wide, but that's it. And I can't repeat the performance.

Quote from: Brian H
The X10 wiki has many good tips and fixes also.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are setup videos and tutorials on cameras and other devices here.
http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm

Ok, I'll have a look, thanx!
(a few minutes later...well, there's nothing there about hooking my cameras up to my PC.)
I guess I'll wait until Monday for that level 2 email I was promised, then contact my credit card company for a refund.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:19:39 PM by uhclem »

uhclem

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »

Quote from: Dave
Quote from: uhclem
I bought 5 wireless floodcams and ... I still can't get any of it to work!

What problems are you having?

As I told the other guy, I get no pictures, but also, the sto0pid lights insist on coming on during the day, in spite of my following the directions to have them only come on at night. (The instructions are to turn the knob-thing to 6 o'clock. Trouble is, the knob turns and turns and never stops on most of the devices. I think they're defective.)

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »

wow sorry to hear about your troubles I have one flood cam and love it, works very well, but I'm about 40 feet away from the receiver,  I would think it would be a distance thing.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:28:02 PM »

wow sorry to hear about your troubles I have one flood cam and love it,

I have to get one of those!

.... Oh, once I saw a picture of one of my cams (the farthest away one) but only if I hold on to the antenna thingy (technical term) attached to my PC and stretched my arms out wide....

I don't even know what that means! Do you actually/really own a FloodCam?

.... I guess I'll wait until Monday for that level 2 email I was promised, then contact my credit card company for a refund.

Actually... you can call your credit company if you wish to... but that isn't the way to get a refund. Call X10... they will send you a refund mailing address thingy. Once X10 receives the returned merchandise... THEY credit your charge card. It's the same process used EVERYWHERE.

uhclem

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 01:55:00 AM »

Quote from: uhclem
.... Oh, once I saw a picture of one of my cams (the farthest away one) but only if I hold on to the antenna thingy (technical term) attached to my PC and stretched my arms out wide....

I don't even know what that means! Do you actually/really own a FloodCam?

I own 5 of them.

.... I guess I'll wait until Monday for that level 2 email I was promised, then contact my credit card company for a refund.

Actually... you can call your credit company if you wish to... but that isn't the way to get a refund. Call X10... they will send you a refund mailing address thingy. Once X10 receives the returned merchandise... THEY credit your charge card. It's the same process used EVERYWHERE.

Well, they lied to me regarding a Level 2 email/call so I don't know whether to trust them or not.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »

......  Well, they lied to me regarding a Level 2 email/call so I don't know whether to trust them or not.

The forums work GREAT... as a way to get help and support in setting up a system. But using the forums as a way to rant and threaten X10 tech support is a waste of everyones time.

X10 has been around for decades.... and with MILLIONS of items sold. I can assure you... these things do work. I am sorry we weren't allowed to help. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:47:42 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.