Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help for new security system from old timers  (Read 4986 times)

RedNecker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need help for new security system from old timers
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:23:33 PM »

I have read posts, X10 site pages, rants, leviton pages, Z-wave, & now I am totaly confused.

If you were now buying a new security system what would you do?  This is for a vacation/fishing camp.

I want a security system with one or two cameras, motion dectectors, 2 or 3 light switches, phone dialer, & internet connection for camera to report to a website.

I would prefer not to have a computer connected to the system after setup.

I have read not to use X10 cameras, or cm15. 
Someone posted to use Leviton brand of X10 switchs as it was less prone to failure.

Any other equipment needed?

Can this system be obtained in the $300 to $500 price range & if so what componets wouild you purchase now that you have a lot of experience with this stuff?  I am experienced with computers.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Need help for new security system from old timers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »

I have read posts, X10 site pages, rants, leviton pages, Z-wave, & now I am totaly confused.

If you were now buying a new security system what would you do?  This is for a vacation/fishing camp.

I would buy X10's DS7000.

I want a security system with one or two cameras, motion detectors, 2 or 3 light switches, phone dialer............I have read not to use X10 cameras, or cm15.

I have both X10 and other brand cameras. X10's are tough little work-horses, and the X10 systems (DS7000, cameras, switches, motion sensors) all intergrate easily with each other. I love my CM15A.... but you don't need one.

....... internet connection for camera to report to a website. I would prefer not to have a computer connected to the system after setup.

You can purchase an IP server for cameras (less than $100). Or you can run everything on a trash-day curb-side PC. Or BOTH.

Someone posted to use Leviton brand of X10 switches as it was less prone to failure.

Leviton is a great brand. I've never had an X10 switch fail.

Can this system be obtained in the $300 to $500 price range & if so what componets would you purchase now that you have a lot of experience with this stuff?  I am experienced with computers.

$300 to $500..... yes, but closer to the $500. Look for X10 DEALS at the X10.com Site.

A two camera deal (with one of the cameras a wide-eye) with the video adapter and the x-ray vision software, the DS7000 (and a couple extra powerhorns), I would look at the X10 floodlight (a nice unit that turns on up to 4 other X10 devices), an automation "package" (that contains 2 switches, 3 lamp modules, 3 appliance modules, a transceiver, and a remote). An IP server.

There will ALWAYS be other equipment needed... this stuff is additive.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

RedNecker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »

I guess I will start with the ds7000+ & the active home $99 package.

Thanks,

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »

Great! Hope you found my post helpful. Report back and let us know how things measure-up to your expectations.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »

I guess I will start with the ds7000+ & the active home $99 package.

Thanks,

Better read my review on the ds7000 so you're know exactly what to expect, I'll post a link. As for the x10 cameras they work OK in daylight but at night I find that the images are very difficult to make out unless you get the 300.00 dollar Vanguard. Think you still need to do a little more research so that you don't get any nasty surprises. Some of the x10 stuff is pretty good but you need to know their limitations so you will know exactly what to expect.

Tj
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:33:55 PM by tom j »

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »

I want a security system with one or two cameras, motion dectectors, 2 or 3 light switches, phone dialer, & internet connection for camera to report to a website.

I would prefer not to have a computer connected to the system after setup.

I have read not to use X10 cameras, or cm15. 
Someone posted to use Leviton brand of X10 switchs as it was less prone to failure.

Can this system be obtained in the $300 to $500 price range & if so what componets wouild you purchase now that you have a lot of experience with this stuff?  I am experienced with computers.

Here's that review I told you about on the Procter Plus, hope you find it useful.

Tom j

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.