Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recommend an outdoor RF camera  (Read 2386 times)

cb1000rider

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Recommend an outdoor RF camera
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »

I need a recommendation for an outdoor  RF (non-wired) camera.  Preferably one with IR lighting and that is motion sensitive.

Along with the recommendation, I need a product spec.  In particular, I'm interested in power requirements.

This is a camera this is going out to the entrance of our property, mounted next to an automatic gate.  The gate is solar powered (with 2 batteries for power storage).  I need to be able to compute my solar power usage and how much power I'm going to need to store overnight... This is why power requirements are important.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Recommend an outdoor RF camera
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »

........This is a camera this is going out to the entrance of our property, mounted next to an automatic gate... 

How far is that from the gate area where you plan to mount the camera.... and the area where you plan to receive the cameras signal?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cb1000rider

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »

150' from gate area to home.
I'd like to eventually record the video to PC.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »

Dave X10 is an expert on X10 cameras, he has a bunch, and I have none, but my two cents is:
Unless you have lights at the gate, you probably do not want X10 unless it is the expensive Sentinel and even that does not have particularly good sensitivity.

The inexpensive "Night Watch" camera which is X10s  low cost, low-light, B&W, camera needs supplemental lighting. Non of the X10 cameras are particularly sensitive to IR and none have IR transmitters. Also, X10 does not provide any specs, but they do offer a battery pack for any camera. X10 claims AA batteries will last "up to four hours" so they ain't exactly efficient (they use CMOS pick-ups, if that tells you anything). Maybe Dave x10 has a better opinion, but my two cents is to look else where because of your power and sensitivity requirements.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:55:15 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »

150 feet is just beyond practical use of any (X10 included) radio based cameras I've used.  Although you can find claims for longer distances on the Internet. The thing to remember.. is with the longer receiver range... the greater the chance of received interference. If your gate/home is "8 miles east of Nowhere"... that shouldn't be a problem.

Cameras as a rule don't eat much electric (my X10 RF cams use 80mw). I've even done the solar charged battery route. I know it can be done... but realistically you will need a way to turn the camera on when needed and off when not used. I would guess the gate being open would be a good trigger to turn the camera(s) on. dave w is correct when he writes "The inexpensive "Night Watch" camera which is X10s  low cost, low-light, B&W, camera needs supplemental lighting". Having useful lighting at your gate is a challenge. However there is a nice selection of LED lights out there.. in 12 volt.

You could search the Internet for longer range RF IR cameras that use a 12 Volt power supply (walwart). Then replace the walwart power with 12 volts from your batteries (be sure to get the pos and neg correct). Or you could take a spade, board, and hammer and bury 150 feet of CAT5 for power (even video too for that matter). But now... which ever camera you've purchased... and however you get the video back to the house and the computer. You'll need a way to tell the PC to record. You could accomplish this with a (PC) video input card that has motion detection. You will need a view that doesn't "see" any traffic beyond the gate. You could also use something like a "Driveway Alert" to notify you when there is motion at the gate (when your home) then you could check the PC to see what the activity might be.

If it was me... and my setup. I'd run wire! I like the idea of the solar panels. Those panels will keep that gate opening and closing even if the power is out for days after the storm.

I would even mount a couple IR (other or UN brand) cameras on or near the gate. But unless you plan on installing solar panels for the PC back in the house... the cameras might as well use regular power.

And light at the gate... will make the gate area safer and likely more secure too. And potential intruders may not want to spend time at a well lighted gate with cameras pointed at them.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.