Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: repeat dimming  (Read 3961 times)

joey123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
repeat dimming
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:01:46 PM »

Hi,

Hope you can help.

I have an Ocelot controller, WGL X10 transceiver, and x10 coupler repeater wired in my electrical panel.

I am now sometime getting sever "repeat Dimming" on my RF dimming command from my palmpad dimming.  In other words sometime when I hit dim once on my palmpad the lite will keep dimming until off.

This does not happen on wired controllers, only the wireless, and I do not think it has anything to do with the Ocelot since this is not a macro, just controlling a light directly.

Any ideas?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: repeat dimming
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:04:59 PM »

Hi,

Hope you can help.

I have an Ocelot controller, WGL X10 transceiver, and x10 coupler repeater wired in my electrical panel.

I am now sometime getting sever "repeat Dimming" on my RF dimming command from my palmpad dimming.  In other words sometime when I hit dim once on my palmpad the lite will keep dimming until off.

This does not happen on wired controllers, only the wireless, and I do not think it has anything to do with the Ocelot since this is not a macro, just controlling a light directly.

Any ideas?

I've seen similar problems with the WGL V572A Transceiver.  And even when it's not that severe the transceived dim level usually varies dramatically for the same RF input signal.  (I reported this to WGL around 18 months ago.)  The only suggestion I can make is to try orienting the V572A antenna differently - my guess is that there's some sort of feedback between the transmitted dims on the power line and the V572A RF input.  (I don't know to what extent a coupler/repeater exacerbates the problem.)

A similar problem is frequently reported with the X-10 TM751 Transceiver.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

joey123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

Thanks,

I unbundled the wires on the WGL as they were wound up tight and could have caused "ringing".  Indeed it helped.  Actually I guess you can say it solved the problem, but still get only about 4-5 discrete lighting levels as opposed to 16 or more touted in X10.  I wonder if this sensitivity is due to the WGL being physically close to the electrical panel where the coupler/repeater is located.

Joe
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:38:39 PM by joey123 »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:59:24 PM »

Thanks,

I unbundled the wires on the WGL as they were wound up tight and could have caused "ringing".  Indeed it helped.  Actually I guess you can say it solved the problem, but still get only about 4-5 discrete lighting levels as opposed to 16 or more touted in X10.  I wonder if this sensitivity is due to the WGL being physically close to the electrical panel where the coupler/repeater is located.

Joe

What are you using to send the RF signals?  Different transmitters send a different minimum number of RF bursts.  Too high a number will be transceived as more than the 6 percent change in brightness level.

Your large steps in brightness level could also be due to the V572A's wild variation in transceived level I mentioned previously.  It's
also possible your coupler/repeater is doubling the number of dims/brights - I'm not familiar enough with these coupler/repeaters to know.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.