Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which camera?  (Read 4784 times)

traveler

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Which camera?
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »

I'm a newbie and would like to purchase a camera system/package primarily for remote video monitoring via the internet thru my PC. I also want a reasonably reliable and economic set-up.
Since we all know that technology is constantly improving, which x-10 camera is considered to be reliable and provide sharp images? (My budget won't cover the Sentinal!)
Do B/W cameras provide clearer images vs. color cameras?
Also, it appears from forum comments that wired cameras provide clearer images. The cameras would be mounted on the outside of my home & I would be able to run Cat3 or Cat5 cable to them. One set-up possibility I've read on this board is to start with the "wireless" cameras (really not wireless since power has to be wired to them) & later convert them to wired if the video quality is not very good.
Also for night time camera images, I'd most likely need to install some motion activated lighting.
I would appreciate any recommendations and/or comments.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Which camera?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »

Personally I find the color cams to provide a much sharper image, but that may be just my B&W that is flawed!
There are better low light cams out there some even have IR lighting built in and their price is much the same as X10s! Look at Walmart & Home Depo  ;)
Setting up motion sensor lighting is a simple to do use the x10 floods not the x10 flood cams!
For the video monitor in and home control get the ActiveHome Pro package with the included plug-ins (usually found in the daily deals section! ;)
As for cams Look for 2 for 1 deals  definitely gets some ninja pan & tilt devices they allow for more coverage! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:00:06 AM »

Hi Traveler- welcome to the forum.
I agree with Tuiceman, my experience has been the X-10 color cams provide a sharper image than B&W.  Wireless or wired the set-up is relatively uncomplicated.  I stay with the "instant on" series.
As far as wired vs wireless I think that depends on several factors such as:
how many computers or TV's do you want to view the cams on? if only one no problem running wiring.  In my case it is 2 TV's and 3 computers so I use wireless, plus wiring would be a nightmare for me.
for wireless what type of obstacle's are between the cam antenna and the receiver antenna i.e. metal studs, concrete walls etc all these things have an effect on distance of video reception and quality.
Look at location of wireless receiver(s) compared to location of cameras, can you easily "point" all the camera antenna's (which do swivel or turn) in a "line of sight" to the receiver(s) antenna? or are all the cameras located within a relatively close distance to the receiver? say 30-40 ft? (You do get reception farther I have 7 cams with one 92ft from a receiver outside great reception! one 70ft inside garage poor reception too many obstacles.... walls)
I use "omni-directional" audio/video receivers on the TV's (not purchased from X-10) and directional receivers on the computers (purchased from X-10) this is because of camera locations.
Set-up of motion sensors to activate lights and cameras, snapshots and video is also relatively easy once you understand the software a little.  One of my settings turns on the front door light when some crosses the motion sensor field of vision, takes snapshots then turns the light off after 10 min.  Same with my back door which is nice to have lights when coming home at night.
All my cams except one are mounted on Ninja pan & tilt.

Probably more info than you wanted but hope it helps.

traveler

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »

tuicemen & x-10challenged : Thanks for your suggestions.
My system would essentially be used to monitor the cameras via the internet. At this time switching lights, etc. on and off is not envisioned.
I'm concerned that adding control complexity such as pan & tilt could increase the likelihood of the camera "line of sight" becoming stuck at say an extreme position. What's been your experience with the pan & tilt reliability?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the "Vanguard Internet Control Center" software has replaced the "Active Home Pro with iwatch plug-in"?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:12:10 PM »

I've only been using the ninja pan & tilts for a couple of years now!
I had only one problem with them thus far, and think it was heat related as the ninja stopped responding!(moved it to another location and haven't had it act up since) ::)
I have them located under eves to limit their exposer to the elements! ;)
I do have one wide eye cam but find the standard x10 color cams to have a slightly better pic, and mounted on a ninja I can get a wider viewing angle! ;)
I have one in the back yard and have the 4 presets configured (realy only need three)
I can scan between this presets or focus on just one of the setting!
Could be set to motion sensors set in that preset viewing area!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

traveler

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »

Do any of the cameras offered by X-10 use CCD technology?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.