Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RF in the Garage  (Read 2872 times)

jarleifv

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
RF in the Garage
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:41:05 PM »

Hi!

I've been lurking in the shadows for a while, been busy with lots of other projects, but working with x10 a bit again now..

I have a CM15A in the closet under my stairs, and almost all of my SS13A's, motion sensors, and KR's can reach it.. I have a section in my back entry,  as well as the garage that's "dead".  I want to use SS13A's for the garage door, and use a magnet sensor with a DS10a to close the garage door after a certain time, or to close it from my bed (if i think i may have forgot to close it) if it's still open.

so in short, I need RF in the garage for the DS10a (even when the garage door is closed) as well as the SS13 (plus I can throw some camera's out there then..)...
Do i use a RR501 since I have a CM15A already (in case both of the units "hear" the remote at the same time?)

I don't wanna use a TM751..right?

I have the same electrical service as the house in the garage (it's not that far away), and i already have a phase coupler..

Thanks guys!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: RF in the Garage
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »

The SS13A will be processed by a RR501. Unfortunately the security DS10A will not be processed by the RR501.

Have you done any searches for CM15A antenna modifications?
Some are 100% passive and don't require direct modifications to the CM15A.

There are also some tips on passive antennas for the SS13A and possibly a DS10A.

Maybe you can sense the doors magnetic switch with a PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 Powerflash Module.
It can be set to send an X10 On and Off depending on a magnetic switches state.

What are you going to use to activate the garage door opener?

A UM506 Universal Module can be used to do a momentary dry switch closure.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:05:20 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »

I agree with Brian (as usual ;) ).
I would try the "18.5-inch Reflector" mod first, as it only takes a few minutes, does not involve opening the CM15A (or even unplugging it - if you are careful), and does not void your warranty.
Just attach an 18.5-inch (approximately) length of stiff wire (a straight piece of coat hanger is fine) alongside the CM15A's antenna, lining the bottom of the wire up with the "elbow" at the bottom of the CM15A's antenna.
Attach the two together with a few wraps of tape, some plastic zip-ties, a piece of heat-shring tubing, chewing gum, etc. You are NOT making an electrical connection between the two. The longer wire is a reflector that helps catch the RF signals, and "bounce" them to the CM15A's antenna.

Many people (myself included) have had good success with this simple mod (others reported some success, but the range still wasn't increased enough to reach their farthest units).
It only takes a few minutes to try it, and you don't have much to lose (just don't poke your eye out with that long wire).

jarleifv

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »

rofl

I probably should be careful with the coat hanger..since I only have one eye left.. lol

I have already tried the coathanger trick..it worked ok, but not
great (my house has aluminum siding and it's of course grounded)...

I could  use a universal module in place of the ds10a i suppose, then I don't have that issue to worry about..and I can use that transceiver...unlesss.......

I found this somewhere..
At 310MHz the ideal length in inches for a vertical antennal is as follows:
Full = 3' 1/4" -- Best you can do, couples the entire wave onto the antenna
3/4 = 2' 3 3/4"  -- odd but at 3/4 why not just go full
1/2 = 1' 6 1/8" -- More common, still a tad long
1/4 = 0' 9 1/16"  -- Very common, very effective
1/8 = 0' 4 17/32" -- Also very common but not nearly as good a 1/4

I might as well grab some wire and string out a full wave length up the wall inside the closet... is that gonna give me and added range?  I don't care about the length (even though the say size matters)   :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »

The universal module is a dry switch to activate things like garage door openers. It sends no signals.

The DS10A was to signal the door open or closed. A powerflasher can also be used to send an On and Off with the changing state of a magnetic switch.

Maybe you can elaborate on how the DS10A and the SS13A where to activate the garage door.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:28:14 PM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »

In many jurisdictions, remotely closing a garage door is illegal because of the danger to children, pets, etc..
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.