Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Softstart Switch Problem Help Please  (Read 3050 times)

WPF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Softstart Switch Problem Help Please
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »

I have two three way softstart switches and one regular.
I noticed that after a few regular on off cycles when I go and turn it on it will be dimmed.
I have to use the controller to bring it to full bright again.

Anhybody have any ideas why this is going on?

thanks

Boiler

Re: Softstart Switch Problem Help Please
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »

I have two three way softstart switches and one regular.
I noticed that after a few regular on off cycles when I go and turn it on it will be dimmed.
I have to use the controller to bring it to full bright again.

Anhybody have any ideas why this is going on?

thanks

WPF,

Welcome to the forum.

The new softstart switches have a feature called "resume dim".  In short, when they receive a "on" command they will remember and return to the previous brightness level.

The best way around this is to change the AHP interface to a "LM14a 2-way appliance module" and use a macro to turn the switch on.  The macro should use a 99% level (instead of ON) to get around the resume dim feature.

There's a thread on the subject here : Softstart Dimmer Problems

Boiler

WPF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »

Thanks Boiler,

But these lights are in my kitchen- used a lot-Not used with AHP. I either use a Wireless Transceiver (TM751) right next to the door I come into the kitchen or the swtich it self-

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »

It still is probably a "resume dim" function. Whether turned ON by a remote through the TM751, or turned ON at the switch itself, the new design switches always come on to the level they were last set at (or turned OFF at). Holding the wall switch button down too long when turning OFF the light, might be causing it to very slowly incrementally dim(?).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:19:36 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

But these lights are in my kitchen- used a lot-Not used with AHP. I either use a Wireless Transceiver (TM751) right next to the door I come into the kitchen or the swtich itself

As Dave W pointed out, the resume dim is active through both local an remote dimming.

I had similar problems "training" my family members when I first installed my Leviton switches (same resume dim feature).  My family would become impatient waiting for the lamp to ramp up and would hold the switch on (thereby activating the brightness function).  When reactivated (correctly) the switch would return to the previous level.

Not a solution, but maybe this would help -
If you have AHP you could construct a timed macro to "reset" the on level for the switch periodically.  You would need to define the switch as a LM14a.  Then simply turn it on @99% (or whatever level you prefer) and then turn it off again.  The next on command (local or remote) will return it to the same level.

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.