Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: well the stuff came but HELP!!!!!  (Read 3937 times)

blown99bergerssclo

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
well the stuff came but HELP!!!!!
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »

OK first off a couple of the power supplies don't respond on any freq. setting while the ones that do , will in the same outlet. bad power supplies i suppose. then as for the ones that do. the pics are all black when outside on a couple. then there is the wonderful flood cams. paid a n elect. to wire up all 5. they don't respond to on off commands fromthe computer or the remote controll and when they are on its just a black  or VERY dark picture. as for the alarm it seems to be working but its not very loud even with the mini powerhorn (was suppose to be the loud one but sent this instead). so needless to say right now I'm not a happy camper. if anyone on this board works for x10 id love to get your input. as for everyone else ill gladly take the help i can get! so far $1500 to an electrician and $800 to x10 plus a whole lot of frustration and time. not what id call a good exper.

trol1374

Re: well the stuff came but HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:16:14 PM »

Power supplies for the camera's?  What software are you using?
If you are using AHP with the cm15a, you mean by not responding to the computer turning them on/off? Or a remote?
In AHP, setup up a non dim module and set the code the same as the camera.  Now try to cycle that switch on/off and see if it works.
You did set the codes on the camera's right?  a,b,c... 1,2,3, ect? They say they should be set in groups C1,C2,C3,C4 (as an example).  As for the flood cam's, did you use the max wattage bulb?  I've found that using the manual setting vs the auto, that it responds better.
  Lots of questions.  But lots of folks here to help.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:18:14 PM by trol1374 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »

............. if anyone on this board works for x10 id love to get your input.

Welcome to the forums blown99bergerssclo

Believe it or not... this is a community forum. It is ran by users - for users. We are X10 customers... just like yourself.

.................... $800 to x10 plus a whole lot of frustration and time. not what id call a good exper.

I feel your frustration... or maybe I should say... I have felt the same frustration myself. "$800 to x10" buys a big bunch of stuff. If you are new to X10.. and the technologies involved.. I can only imagine how over-whelmed you must be.

Let me assure you... your X10 devices will work! trol1374 asked some good questions... be as detailed as you can when you reply. Read here at the forum too. Your questions have likely already been asked and replied to several times. There is a wealth of information here!

I should point out.. this post is currently in "camera reviews" and will likely be moved... don't take it personally. Stick with us.. keep posting, replying, and reading. Your frustration should soon turn into FUN.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »

...Believe it or not... this is a community forum. It is ran by users - for users. We are X10 customers... just like yourself. ...
As Dave said it's mostly just users here with varying degrees of skill and experience. A lot of us have just used X10 long enough to of dealt with all the basic problems first hand. A few of the folks here also have a great deal of electrical skill and experience. One thing all of us have in common is we don't get paid for our time here.

...if anyone on this board works for x10 id love to get your input...
There is rumor of an X10 presence here but I haven't seen near the level of participation from X10 as we had when the board was formed.  :(
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

blown99bergerssclo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »

Power supplies for the camera's?  yes the power supplies i have double checked the dial settings and still i am not able to controll them.    What software are you using?    i am using ahp with i witness, my house on line, on alert, and smart macros.     If you are using AHP with the cm15a, you mean by not responding to the computer turning them on/off? Or a remote?
yes i am unable to turn them off and on with the computer and when i use the remote i can turn one off and on but when i switch to another the first doesn't shut off. unless i specifically turn it off then turn the other on (and the pic on #2 is extremely dark even with bright all the way up) .  but i am un able to turn the second off with the remote or comp. the first one will turn on with the remote but the signal is scrambled with the second one. as for the third it will not come on at all unless i use a diff power supply. even then it has the same type of pic as #2 very dark unable to make out anything unless i change the setting in ahp then only shadows. 
In AHP, setup up a non dim module and set the code the same as the camera.  Now try to cycle that switch on/off and see if it works.
I'll try it and see how it goes and get back with you.
You did set the codes on the camera's right?  a,b,c... 1,2,3, etc? double checked and all OK.
 They say they should be set in groups C1,C2,C3,C4 (as an example). tried a1-a4 then i1-i4 same results.
As for the flood cam's, did you use the max wattage bulb?  I've found that using the manual setting vs the auto, that it responds better. using 90w halogens ( asked x10 they said these would be OK). and tried man and auto.
Lots of questions.  But lots of folks here to help. i am just glad y'all are here! i hope t get this working soon as i am afraid if i take too long they will not refund my money (hopefully it'll all just work!).
thanks for all of your help

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »

blown99bergerssclo: Slow down and take a deep breath! ;) :D ;D

X10 can be a royal pain for a Newbie even just with one or two devices! :(
There are many things that can cause problems and probably are happening since your new to Home Automation!

I tell every newbie to "take baby steps" install one device at a time!
Try it in the same outlet as the CM15A if it works there but not else where then you have a noise, signal sucker or Phase issue!

There are helpful threads for each of these problems which will walk you through finding and fixing the issues!
Hint: check the Help And Trouble Shooting Section as well as the  Troubleshooting Automation Problems
The EAs and COs have spent lots of time creating helpful stickys, threads, and linking to them as well as heplful ones posted by other users!

I know you have read alot of threads on here but untill you have done the hands on it is just therory! ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:21:38 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bikerjoe

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:47:50 AM »

Okay, a few thoughts ...

I use an old 1983  :o Tandy Model 102 computer with a FireCracker unit and a "TempTrax" Model F probe reader to control a swimming pool pump, and to control X-10 cameras and lights around the house.  A friend helped me write a BASIC program to send the correct X-10 signals to the modules and cameras via the FireCracker unit!

Here are a few things you should know:

1.  If ONE x-10 camera is on and transmitting, you cannot turn on another camera on the same channel and unit settings (1,2,3,4 or A,B,C,D on the camera and receiver) at the same time.  This will give you the zig-zag screen as both cameras fight to display a picture on the same frequency.

2. Assume your cameras are set to unit codes 1,2,3 and 4.  When you turn on unit 1, it will display a picture.  When you turn on unit 2, unit 1 will turn itself off, and unit 2's picture will be displayed.  The same goes for 3 and 4.  The EXCEPTION is when you set your camera units to numbers above '4.'  If your cameras are set to 5,6,7 and 8 (or 9,10,11 and 12) for example, you must turn OFF whatever camera you are viewing BEFORE you turn another camera on, or the images will clash.  I tried to rotate through my cameras with the computer, sending "A-9, ON ... A-10,ON ... A-11, ON ..." and so forth and found that they would not display.  When I sent "A-9,ON ... A-9, OFF ... A-10, ON ... A-10, OFF ... A-11,ON ... A-11,OFF ..." and so forth, the cameras numbered above '4' worked properly.  I do not know why this is the case, but that is what you must do to sequence through cameras with a unit code above '4.'

3. Your house has TWO feeds for current.  Each feed is 120 volts AC, and when you use both, you get your 240 volt AC current for air compressors and welders, etc.  If your cameras are on the same circuits (breakers that are all fed by ONE of the two feeds) the X-10 signals will all work, but if you plug cameras into circuits fed by the OTHER side of your breaker box, the X-10 signal won't reach them unless you hook up a "signal bridge" which will send the X-10 signals to both feeds.

4.  Not to be insulting, but have you checked to see that you have removed any LENS CAP from the "black" cameras?

5. If you are using a TV to view your cameras, you must make sure that your cameras are being fed to one of the AUXiliary inputs, and that your TV is set to VIEW that input.

6.  The paddles on the camera and receiver must basically FACE each other in order for the signal to work, and you can forget about the "100-foot range!"  They're good for about 25 feet, on a GOOD day.  Less, if the signal is going through walls.

If you live in the San Diego area, I'd be glad to help you with this stuff, but if you are elsewhere, you'll have to go find a techno-geek who can help you out.

blown99bergerssclo

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »

i appreciate the help. i haven't had time to mess with anything in a few weeks hopefully i will next weekend. i have already went past the 30 day return period so all i can hope for is to get them working. when i get to work on everything I'll let y'all know. and i am in the dfw,tx. area. thanks for the offer.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.