Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 ( X10 Pro ) switch leakage / LED display  (Read 7115 times)

notimpressed

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
XPS3 ( X10 Pro ) switch leakage / LED display
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »

I installed 2 XPS3 switches to drive my outdoor Xmas light outlets. They work fine, but i noticed two strange things:
- the indicator LED on the top of the switch is dimly lit when the switch is off
- there is enough ( current/voltage ) when the switch is off to dimly ( very dimly ) light a string of LED XMAS lights
Since these are controlled by a (noisy!) relay, I can't figure out why there should be any leakage. Have I swapped the load and hot to cause this behaviour ?

I just installed another XPS3 elsewhere and the LED on the switch acts as expected -- off when switch is off, on when switch is on. Not sure about any leakage current/voltage since that load isn't an LED string.

In both cases I'm pretty sure I found the hot ( as opposed to the load ) by using one of those volting sensing beeper-thingies.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

-NI
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:08:21 PM by notimpressed »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: XPS3 ( X10 Pro ) switch leakage / LED display
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »

Most appliance modules and switches have a small current that travels though the load for local control. LED lights require such a small load that they will light even when "off". While there are mods to eliminate local control, the simplest solution is to simply plug a standard night light in parallel with the load.
If you search the forum, you'll find several discussions on the subject of controlling LED lights.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:33:49 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

notimpressed

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »

Thanks Steven. I'll do a better job of searching the forums next time. I'll try the nightlight trick next Xmas.

So, is it normal for the LED on the XPS3 switch to be dimly on when using LED lights ( is that the same issue with the sense current ? )

-NI

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:50:51 AM »

The sensing circuit can also be triggered by some brand CFLs. You turn them off and that go back on. I have tried a few LED Bulbs and mine glow at about 1/2 brightness on both appliance and light modules.

notimpressed

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:15:11 PM »

Thanks for the info, StevenR. I've seen the same thing on appliance modules driving CFLs.

My remaining question is why are the LEDs on the XPS3 switches ( not on my LED XMAS lights string that are controlled by the switch ) dimly lit when off?

A second installation of an XPS3 switch does not do this.

-NI

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:33:20 PM »

Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Waynemor

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »

My remaining question is why are the LEDs on the XPS3 switches ( not on my LED XMAS lights string that are controlled by the switch ) dimly lit when off?

If the neutral line to the switch is either loose or bad it will sometimes cause the LED on the switch to stay on dimly when off. Check your connections/wiring.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.