Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPT + XP2d Setup  (Read 3462 times)

patatus40

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPT + XP2d Setup
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »

Hi, everyone! I'm new at this X10 stuff and I'm trying to setup an XPT + XP2D to control 2 different sets of lights. I took my old switch box and found my neutral and hot wire (those are the ones that are wired to the XPT, right?). But then, I have two other wires coming out of the wall. Any ideas? Thanks...
Oh, BTW, the XPT doesn't work at all with the hot and neutral connected to it. I can't turn on/off the lights.
Thanks, again.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: XPT + XP2d Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

Assuming you mean XPT1 and XPT2D. These are transmitters only. They can not directly control a fixture. They only transmit a X10 code to a receiver which does the controlling.
( http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/receivers.html#plug ).

If your old switch controlled an incandescent fixture you could replace the XPTs with PLW01 or WS467, WS12A, etc. If you are controlling anything other than an incandescent light (CFLs, LED bulbs, etc.)  then you need a switch with a relay such as XPS3 or WS13A. OR you could keep the XPT switches and put wire in modules XPDF or XPFM in the fixture box itself.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »

So in the switch box there where three wires? Line; Neutral and Load?

Not all white wires are neutral. Was the white one on the old switch?

patatus40

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:56:25 AM »

Thanks for your help. This is what I understood... I need to setup (probably next to each other) my XPT +XPT2D and a WS12A. They would be setup with the same dial codes, right? How would the wiring go, though? Neutral and hot to the XPT and hot and load to the WS12A?
Thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

Thanks for your help. This is what I understood... I need to setup (probably next to each other) my XPT +XPT2D and a WS12A. They would be setup with the same dial codes, right? How would the wiring go, though? Neutral and hot to the XPT and hot and load to the WS12A?
Thanks!
No,  if you use the WS12A, it will directly control an incandescent light fixture so you would not need the XPTs. The WS12A will only need hot and load. or the same two wires you removed from the original switch. The extra wire on the WS12A is for three-way applications.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

patatus40

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »

Oh, but I need the XPT and the XPT2D because I have two buttons that control two different lights... I'm attaching a picture of what I have and want to use with X10. Thanks, guys!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.