Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DETAILS  (Read 27496 times)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Re: DETAILS
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »

Should I put a XPF in the new panel ? Transfer switch ? Both ? or ?????
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »

I see two issues with the new configuration.  First, if that is a XPF filter between your CM15A and your transfer switch, that will block the X10 signal from reaching the distribution panel.

Second, it looks like you substantially increased the wire length between the CM15A and your new distribution panel.  As you know, X10 signals decrease in amplitude as they propagate away from the transmitter.  Even if there is no XPF blocking the signal on the CM15A circuit, the additional wire length will reduce the signal strength even more.  The new distribution panel will be a major load on any remaining signal, and the signal strength has probably dropped into the noise level by the time it reaches the XTB-IIR.

If you have a XPF in the CM15A circuit, you certainly should remove that.  Then if the CM15A signal strength is still too weak, you could try moving the XTB-IIR onto the CM15A circuit to pick up its direct feed.  That may be possible at the old distribution panel if you have both phases there.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »

I also agree with Jeff's first point. The XPF between the CM15A and the panel. Will be a problem.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

For $13.39 you can get these USB over cat5 extenders that will let you run your USB 150 ft with simple cat5 wire.  What about moving the CM15A out to the new panel and extending the USB back to the computer with these?  Then the CM15A will be centrally located at the new panel.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

Just a thought

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »

For $13.39 you can get these USB over cat5 extenders that will let you run your USB 150 ft with simple cat5 wire.......http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

dbemowsk thanks for the link... thats a GREAT price.. have you purchased from that outfit before?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:13 AM »

I buy cables from there for work all the time.  That's how I found that little gem.  Most of the USB to cat5 extenders I have seen are between $50 and $70.

This company has pretty fast shipping too.

Dan
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Duck69

• Unselfish Love
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »

Found some time yesterday to get some work done.
I removed the XPF filters and since I had extra space in the new panel, I installed a new 15 Amp circuit that goes to a single outlet, to be used for the CM15A. It is only a 8 to 10 foot run.
When time permits I will load my control software on my laptop and use the laptop for testing.
Then when the USB Cat5 extenders get here I will test that by running cat5 to the HO computer. I will have to get someone to help me run the cable either in the attic (doubtful) or crawl space (likely).

-:) At any rate, I have an old Mac with a dead power supply (PS). A new PS for it is expensive, so I decided to use a PC PS.
I bought a PC case ($50) that has a PS in it of the right wattage and will attempt to put the Mac internals into the PC case. I will have to do some mods for it to fit, but the main challenge will be to get the wiring right.
IF successful I will use it for a server. If not..... Oh well !

Why not just simply put the PC supply into the Mac ?
"Cause that aint no fun !.
This way the project is gonna be FUN Fun Fun  :)% :)% :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »

Just curious. How old a Mac?

Duck69

• Unselfish Love
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »

It's a 2002 model.
Dual boot with dual 1.25 GHz processors, ATI Radeon 9000, 2 GB of RAM.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »

I have an old Blue and White G3 that I added a third party G4 Processor Daughter Board.

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »

For $13.39 you can get these USB over cat5 extenders that will let you run your USB 150 ft with simple cat5 wire.  What about moving the CM15A out to the new panel and extending the USB back to the computer with these?  Then the CM15A will be centrally located at the new panel.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

Just a thought

Dan B.

Thanks for this information as well.  I have used Monoprice many times before for A/V cables and connectors.  They have always had excellent products and prices.  I recommend them highly for those who've not heard of them before.  In this case, I've recently installed a new XTB-IIR near my breaker box in the garage and plugged my CM15A into its front.  For many reasons, this works bettter than it's old location.  However,  I now don't have a USB connection between the CM15A and my laptop in the den.  The USB extenders you mentioned and some CAT5 cable and I'll be all set!  Thanks!

Duck69

• Unselfish Love
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »

Thank you all for your help.  :)% :)%  >!

The problem turned out to be a bad switch.
The witch is something that didn't even cross my mind.
I focused on the new service panel & transfer switch installation believing that, the problem had to be there somewhere & overlooked everything else. Besides causing myself some frustration, I did manage to find & correct the kitchen/office outlet situation. So all in all it wasn't completely fruitless.

Once again thank you  >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 06:03:32 AM »

Glad you found it.
I have had similar findings. Install some new stuff and have a problem. Never thinking maybe part of the original installation developed a problem.  ???
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.