Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPT / XPFM Problem  (Read 4229 times)

Beck

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPT / XPFM Problem
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:08 AM »

Hi! I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help solve a problem I have with my controller and module.

I have a model XPT controller installed in a wall box with an XPFM inductive in-line module wired to two incandescent lights outside. It worked for about a year before failing...the 'off' signal would no longer turn off the lights. I replaced the module and this time it worked for about 9 months before failing again. Same problem....it no longer turns off the lights. Does anyone know if the modules have a 1 year useful life? Perhaps I should try changing a setting on the module?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Beck

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPT / XPFM Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »

So replacing the XPFM corrected the problem?
The XPT has always been the same one?

Only the off command seems to stop working.
The bulbs are standard incandescent style?
Some other type bulbs can make noise when on and prevent an off command from working.

Could also be a marginal power line signal to the fixtures and when the XPFM ages it gets less sensitive.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Beck

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, replacing the XPFM corrected the problem for the last 9 months, but now it's failed again.

Regarding the XPT, actually the original switch and module were Leviton installed by an electrician. When the lights stopped working the first time, I discovered water in the junction box outside. So I replaced the module with the X10 XPFM (my electrical supplier carries X10 and said the FM would work with the Leviton controller) and weatherproofed the box. The module failed about 1 month later so this time I replaced the controller AND the FM, both new X10 units. That's the combination that worked for the last 9 months.

Yes, it's only the off command that isn't responding.

The FM controls 2 fixtures, each has 2 40w candelabra base incandescent bulbs.
You mentioned that some type bulbs make noise when on and may interfere with an 'off' command. Do you know if candelabras fit that bill? Is there another type FM that would work better?

TIA,
Beck

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »

Thanks for the added information on the controller and modules.
Will have to think on this and others may have added thoughts.

Incadescent bulbs should be fine.
CFLs and such things can be noise makers and the XPFM can control that type of bulbs.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »

While incandescent bulbs should work fine with X10 modules, some people have reported trouble due to other devices that were on when the X10 OFF command is normally sent.

Or, it might be a marginal signal level that barely works without the additional load from the light bulbs.

I would suspect a signal or noise issue before a failure of the module itself.  We use the fixture modules here (Leviton version), and they have been very reliable.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Beck

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »

Jeff:

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting thought about a marginal signal level that barely works w/o the lights load. The module IS at the end of a fairly long run. But wouldn't that always be an issue whenever an 'off' signal were sent? In my case the 'off' signal consistently works for a period of time, in the last case 9 months, before failure. Maybe the age of the FM comes into play and becomes 'less sensitive' to that marginal signal as Brian suggested?

Yesterday afternoon I replaced the FM and the light fixtures are working again. If they stop working again maybe I should switch back to a Leviton controller and FM? I'm still wondering if it's a quality control issue with the X10 unit.

Beck

While incandescent bulbs should work fine with X10 modules, some people have reported trouble due to other devices that were on when the X10 OFF command is normally sent.

Or, it might be a marginal signal level that barely works without the additional load from the light bulbs.

I would suspect a signal or noise issue before a failure of the module itself.  We use the fixture modules here (Leviton version), and they have been very reliable.

Jeff

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »

The 9-month interval might be due to something that changes in your environment after a period of time.  If synchronized with the school schedule, it could be children staying up later playing electronic games.  Or it could be a function of when lights come on as the length of the daylight changes.

About the only mechanism I could rationalize with the XPFM itself is the input stage tuning drifting after a period of time.  Some ceramic capacitors will change value slightly as they age.  But, NPO capacitors are normally used in frequency determinant stages because they are very stable.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.