Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automation Basics  (Read 4214 times)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Automation Basics
« on: September 15, 2006, 08:19:03 AM »

In the interest of keeping as much of this information together as a whole, all provided information has been incorporated together to produce a single document.

The Basics

The basics are to read everything that you can, skip over what is confusing and come back to it later. When you do it will make more sense. Hold off on the software for now. Get as much set up as possible. If the light or appliance modules works in one place but not another don’t worry about that just yet. Just set up what you can. Now go back. If thare is a surge suppressor (This goes for TV’s, A/C’s, Appliances and the like.) plugged it to an outlet that the module is plugged into that doesn't work. Unplug the surge suppressor,TV’, A/C, Appliances or what ever and see if it makes any difference. If it does then you need a filter there. Plug the surge suppressor,TV’, A/C, Appliances or what ever into the filter & the filter into the outlet. (I have filters on all of my surge suppressors,) If it doesn’t make a difference then you might need a coupler or coupler repeater (Leave the filter there). But,  what's really needed now is a MAP of the CIRCUITS and a method to determine / measure the SIGNAL STRENGTH / NOISE present at each outlet / light fixture.  Be sure to check all the outlets that have surge suppressors etc.  If needed get a coupler or coupler repeater. (I only needed a coupler). .That's the basics. Once this is accomplished, install your software  Remember this is just the basics. If there are ANY glitches. GO IMMEDIATELY TO THE FORUM and do a search. If you can’t find the answer then submit a post on the forum with your question.

Here is a check list :

Quote from: GROUP:comp.home.automation
Originally created and posted on another Forum by TakeThe Active  on Sep/05/2004

•   Buy an ELK ESM1 X10 signal meter or BORROW one from: http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=463&cat=0&page=1.

•   Buy a handful of X10 filters.  The 5 amp ones are usually enough but if you have a lot on one strip use the 15 amp ones.

•   Put the filters on all of your computers, TV's, video and audio equipment.  If you have any low voltage halogen lights, like puck lights, for under cabinet, in nooks, etc., use one of the wire-in filters to isolate them.  They are great noise generators.

•   Build a list of ALL of your circuits.

•   Put your X10 controller in a "test" mode or get your partner to keep pressing the controller buttons and walk around and measure the signal level at every circuit.  Use a screw in lamp plug to check out lighting circuits.  When you are doing this you should have a good signal without any noise.

•   Do the same thing without any X10 signals.  The Elk meter should be dark.  Any indication is a noise problem.  You will then have to figure out what is causing it.  Do things like start the Heat/AC, appliances, turn off breakers, etc., until you find it.  I have never had any trouble with appliances, AC, etc., generating noise and since they are always on separate circuits anyway they should not be a problem but something is causing your problem.

•   Use a computer based controller that will log valid X10 activity. That will tell you if you have problems with neighbors, or things like the X10 RF modules that have a set of known problems.  If you have neighbor problems then you will have to use a X10 filter on your feed.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:23:52 AM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Automation Basics
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:53:23 AM »

One thing about neighbors.

Since X10 is not widely advertised and not in the mass markets like Home Depot, WalMart, or Target, most , if not all X10 users were introduced to it by a friend who used X10 because a friend told him about it.  I was introduced to X10 by a friend back when the X10 technology was brand new - the DOS era. I've introduced two friends to X10 and now they are users as well.

The odds of your neighbor using X10 is probably in the range of 2000-1.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:55:54 AM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »

...I was introduced to X10 by a friend back when the X10 technology was brand new - the DOS era. I've introduced two friends to X10 and now they are users as well....
...and they introduced two more friends and now we are all here chatting about it.  ;)
I've never had a neighbor that used X10 even when I lived in an apartment so I agree with your odds.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 01:39:02 PM »

Actually, none of the people I've introduced to X10 even know this forum is even here, or even of X10.com. 2 are still running 9x and are running either Active Home or one of the CP290 Windows control programs, one has upgraded to Active Home Pro (so he at least knows about X10.com) and one is still using the 290 and the 9x control program on XP!!! Somehow, it still works.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

elbinario

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:37:42 PM »

Heck...I speak the words "Home Automation" to my friends and they go  :-\ "What? Are you a millionare now?" I still can't conceive how cheap this stuff is (to buy I mean).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.