Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After over a year macros mysteriously stop working  (Read 6165 times)

paul warshawsky

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
After over a year macros mysteriously stop working
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »

OK, I giveup.  Suddenly, and for no reason that I can tell, all my macros have either stopped working correctly or stopped working at all.

I did update the software recently, but I think they were working after the update.

I have gone back to an older activehome (.ahx) file.

I have cleared the interface and downloaded again.

I have done the unplug and remove the battery thing.

My timers work ok.  I can't tell if macros that are triggered by timers work (the macros in question are triggered by remotes) and won't have time to look into this for at least a few days.

I'm wondering if my CM15a has become corrupted somehow.  Does this mean its time for a new cM15a?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: After over a year macros mysteriously stop working
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »

Are the macros CM15 or PC based?

Is your CM15 one of the originals?  There are problems with the first ones.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

paul warshawsky

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:06:22 PM »

Well, I think I've figured it out.  Turns out that my problems started after buying a new monitor.  Despite the fact that the monitor was plugged into a battery backup/surge protector, and that it was plugged into a different outlet than the CM15a, and that it was OFF (!?) it seems to have been interfering with transmission to some units.  Now that my CM15a is plugged-in in another room, my macros seems to be working again.  It also turns out that my timers were NOT working properly - some units were responding well, others intermittently and some apparently not at all. 

Unfortunately this means I can no longer keep the interface connected to my computer (a bit of a pain), but if this solve the problem then it will be worth it.

Paul

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »

Paul,

The easiest way to have the CM15A connected to the computer is to have a special line from your breaker panel to the outlet the CM15A is plugged into.  That way the computer is on the surge protector, but the 15 is on it's own outlet.

My CM15A is plugged into it's own outlet. The only other thing on that outlet is a MC460 Controller, which has been there since Active Home and the CM11A were there.

That CM11A replaced the old CP290, which had rocker panels for 8 different addresses on its housecode. Since neither interface has those rocker panels, the MC460 arrived to handle that function.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

paul warshawsky

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:02:23 PM »

Dan,

Thanks for the advice, but I really don't plan on re-wiring the electricity in my house!  I'm actually going to solve two problems at once by plugging my CM15a into my basement and using it as a tranceiver there (I needed to transceive another house code.)

When I switch programs in the CM15a I'll have to run up and down the stairs...

Paul

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 10:44:26 PM »

Well, I think I've figured it out.  Turns out that my problems started after buying a new monitor.  Despite the fact that the monitor was plugged into a battery backup/surge protector, and that it was plugged into a different outlet than the CM15a, and that it was OFF (!?) it seems to have been interfering with transmission to some units.  Now that my CM15a is plugged-in in another room, my macros seems to be working again.  It also turns out that my timers were NOT working properly - some units were responding well, others intermittently and some apparently not at all. 

Unfortunately this means I can no longer keep the interface connected to my computer (a bit of a pain), but if this solve the problem then it will be worth it.

Paul

I don't remember if you mentioned this, but have you tried using a plug-in X10 noise filter between your UPS and the wall socket?  They're available in 5, 10, and 15 Amp ratings and have worked wonders for many people.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

robster

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:10:38 PM »

I use power filters in front of al computers, stereos and TV sets, and everything is "rock-steady."  I can't recommend it strongly enough.  Use an ELK signal strength meter - it's amazing how some devices suck up the signal...  Good luck!  rob

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.