Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LED Christmas Light String Still Glows Dimly With Module Turned OFF?  (Read 5392 times)

wschrimp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi. Does anyone know if there is an X10 module made that cuts power to both legs of the out going power? The normal X10 only cuts power only from one leg, but I am trying to control strings of LED lights that use both power legs. So when I turn off a regular X10 module, the light may still glow dimmly. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. You can email me directly at wschrimp@aol.com. Thanks. Wayne

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: LED Christmas Light String Still Glows Dimly With Module Turned OFF?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »

I am not aware of any X10 module that would cut both sides of a 115 line but if others are I am sure they will post

Sounds like what you are seeing with the led lights staying on dimly  is the local controll or sense current. If you do a search of these forums you will find advice on how to dissable this.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:46:19 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:15:03 AM »

What module are you currently using to control the LED's?
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:28:33 PM »

wschrimp

Lights glowing dim is not related to the neutral line not being opened along with the "hot" side.
It has to do with the local sense function built into the modules. Search this forum for "local sense" for more information. The local sense current can be turned off in the appliance module by cutting a diode. However this much easier trick may work for you. Plug a 7 watt night night into the module along with your LED string (thats a SEVEN watt bulb, not the more common four watt bulb) . The lower resistance of the night light shunts the local sense current enough that the LEDs may not glow.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.