Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unique Situation...  (Read 4099 times)

DavidQ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Unique Situation...
« on: June 12, 2007, 05:17:56 AM »

Hey, gang,

Fresh here, but I'm a fast learner, so, if you can, please, help me out.

We have two apartments, one across the street from the other, and both at roughly the same elevation from the city street: Apartment A and Apartment B, approx 100 feet from livingroom-window to livingroom-window—the livingrooms practically look into one another. Since we spend most of our time in Apt A, we'd like to monitor Apt B via the Internet. We already share a Wi-Fi signal between the two apartments (we're on a closed, static, wireless Apple network in apartment A), and we're thinking there must be a way to incorporate an Internet security system for apartment B. Ideally, we'd like a system in apt B that not only records motion in the apartment, but whose camera is accessible through the Internet in apt A. Because apt B is more of a railroad-type flat, it's long-and-narrow, with the main windows at one end, and the front door at the other, darker, end of the apt. The camera in apt B would be mounted and focused to view the length of the apt, toward the front windows. Software xtras of course include e-mail notify, etc. We don't need a remote controlled camera, just fixed-focus. Since we're Mac-based, I realize that x10's software pkg won't work, and from the threads, Indigo et. al. should work for Mac. How difficult would it be to add another camera to the mix, either in Apt A or Apt B?

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, experiences?? I'm already hooked on the apparent x10.com product, so no need to convince me (or dissuade me, for that matter). Just looking for some solid answers and solutions.

Thanks,

David

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Unique Situation...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »

Apartment A and Apartment B, approx 100 feet from livingroom-window to livingroom-window—the livingrooms practically look into one another.

Why use the Internet? Window-to-window you might just be able to use a video sender/receiver from A to B.

Or you could use a IP video server (this is a link) which will give you remote viewing of your X10 cams (over the Internet), as well as email video.

You could modify a PalmPad remotely to trigger a chime or light in the 2nd apartment for remote monitoring. Or just install a X10 security alarm, and get a phone call.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:27:33 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.