Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problematic Line Noise from Computer: Filter doesn't seem to help  (Read 9589 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Problematic Line Noise from Computer: Filter doesn't seem to help
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »

Well maybe the old computer power cord was not shielded or poorly shielded. Maybe some of the problem was noise leaking out of the power cord.
You mean an ULTRA Aluminum Case? I had one and I can see your point on maybe poor shielding. I don't think that plastic cover stops much of any noise from being radiated.
Have you stripped out any of the screws yet? I did.  ??? ::)

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »

Well maybe the old computer power cord was not shielded or poorly shielded. Maybe some of the problem was noise leaking out of the power cord.
You mean an ULTRA Aluminum Case? I had one and I can see your point on maybe poor shielding. I don't think that plastic cover stops much of any noise from being radiated.
Have you stripped out any of the screws yet? I did.  ??? ::)

LOL!  Yes, it is the ULTRA case.  I like the size and layout, but I wonder if there is any way to build a case less expensively?  :)  I might bite the bullet and get a "real" case!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »

Cases are fairly cheap these days, You just take everything out of the old case, power supply and motherboard included and transfer everything to the new one.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »

Yes, a computer case with plastic sides can definitely be a factor.  Cases that are in compliance with FCC Part 15 (Incidental Radiators) are entirely metal enclosures.  Some even have spring grounding strips to insure solid electrical connections to removable panels.  This is certainly something to pursue further before considering a broadband powerline filter.

The computer power supply should contain a line filter to prevent electrical noise from escaping via the power cord.  However, who knows what they did in a computer case with a plastic side.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 05:07:16 AM »

Came across an article: RFI'ing your computer.  Seems this is a well known problem in the HAM radio arena and, since X10 seems to be all about radio frequencies, might be of some interest to those of you who are more technically adept. 

http://www.ac6v.com/comprfi.htm

This has been quite a learning experience.  While I understood that computers can generate noise on the powerline, I never understood just how much until now.  My problems aren't resolved, but they have been mitigated and I definitely need to further my attempts at squelching the noise level.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 07:56:52 AM »

Came across an article: RFI'ing your computer.......... 

My original Home Automation Computer was my "best" desktop... which sat on my desk (of course). I had to add a USB extention (an additional 10ft) to get my CM15A far enough away from my PC... and to a plug on a different circuit.

When I switched my HA computer to an older PC... it sits on a set of metal wire shelves. The USB extention no longer seems necessary. I have often wondered if all the metal helped. All this reminds me of back in the old days... V8 cars with AM radio's.... we had grounding straps on the engines and the hoods. It kept the engine from interfering with the radio.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:59:08 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.