Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jury is still out, some stuff works other well fucpsdmfffjkl;kdfj  (Read 3591 times)

TX-Techman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Okay so I started out with a huge list, this doesn't include the stuff already returned.  Anyway the lighting in our home is all CFL and LED.  So I ended up returning a buch of items since the website isn't real clear on the CFL issue.  Anyway I went to all AM466, TM751s and XPS3-IW to control my cfl lighting.  The family room lighting with on of the TM751s and 2 AM466 works okay on the CFLs until some other devices are added.  I have A1 though A6 with A6 being an outside ligt on a motion switch.  I have tried several addresses but it causes other units to turn off or on.  I added the passive coupling device because some of the units didn't seem to function properly and I thought it could be phase issues.  Anyway, now things are turning off and on at will.  I am working to isolate the problem since I am not sure if it is related to Active home, phase issues, noise (can't do much about that), or something else.  I have also seen unit A16 operate A1 directly.  Any input would be appreciated.  Below is my current material list.

Qty   Description   Part
1   MP3 Audio Sender Kit   AK10A
8   3-pin Appliance Module   AM466
1   ActiveHome Pro Computer Interface and USB cable   CM15A
1   Wireless PC Transceiver   CM19A
4   PalmPad   HR12A
2   IR/RF Icon Remote   IR32A
7   SlimFire Pocket Remote   KR19A
9   EagleEye Motion Sensor   MS14A
1   PowerMid Receiver   RE549
6   Slimline Switch Decorator White   SS13A
5   Small Wireless Transceiver   TM751
1   IR Commander   UX17A
1   PASSIVE COUPLING DEVICE 120/277 VAC   XPCP
5   SWITCH 120 VAC 20A 3-WAY FEED THRU IVORY WHITE   XPS3-IW
 Thanks,
Kenneth

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Jury is still out, some stuff works other well fucpsdmfffjkl;kdfj
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:12:11 AM »

You have five TM751s in use?
A TM751 is not polite and everyone one on the same House Code will send an X10 signal at the same time. When any address using that House Code is sent by RF.
It is also hard coded to Unit Code 1. Are you maybe using a different House Code for each TM751 or are they being used in a group on the same address?
TM751 also has no power line receiver in it so it is an RF only receiver.

Motion Sensors have a Dusk Dawn Sensor in them. It is on the next highest Unit Code from what the motion address is. Example default A1 Motion would have A2 as is dusk dawn sensor. So any device set to Address A2 would go on and off when dusk and dawn is sensed by the A1 sensor. So you have to take this into consideration when selecting addresses.

You are using both the CM15A and CM19A together?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:26:39 AM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:43:39 AM »

You may have several issues to deal with.  One is the use of CFLs and LED lights.  Some CFLs can generate a lot of noise in the X10 frequency band, and interfere with X10 communication.  Some 120V LED lights are also powerful noise generators.  While the noise level from a single CFL should be relatively constant, noise from several CFLs running at slightly different frequencies can sum together, and almost mimic real X10 commands.  I have seen the ESM1 report such noise as valid X10 commands, and that might be a source of some of your unwanted commands.

If any of your CFL or LED lights are producing noise in the X10 frequency range, they can be isolated with filters.  The X10 Pro XPPF can be used for plug-in devices, and the small Leviton 6287 wired in-line for ceiling fixtures.

Another issue is the use of a large number of motion sensors.  As already reported, the TM751 is not a polite transceiver, and will transmit whenever it receives a RF command.  It can step on another X10 transmission if one is already in process.  If some of those motion sensors are in high-traffic areas, powerline collisions may be a problem.  Usually a powerline collision results in the loss of both commands, but it is also possible for a collision to result in an unwanted command.

It has been reported here that the A housecode should be avoided.  It is often used for a simple system, and someone sharing the same utility transformer may be sending unwanted commands to your system.  Also some battery powered X10 devices default to the A housecode when the batteries are failing, which can be another source of unwanted commands on that housecode.

If you have not already done so, you might want to read some of the troubleshooting series I wrote:  http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

TX-Techman

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the motion sensors took 2 addresses so that is very helpful.  I went to these modules because of the CFL bulbs, below is my current configuration and future plans.  The thought with the TM751s was to have one for each area for reliability and the price was also right at $5 each for it along with the AM466 module bundles. 

All of the currently installed stuff seemed to work okay until adding the porch motion sensor.  The motion sensors in the kitchen and entry work great to.  For some reason the FP light sometimes turns off/on A1 regardless of the address it is set too.

I also see there have been some fire related issues with some modules related to CFL lamps.  Would this be the case with any of the modules I am using?  I appreciate any input or suggestions you may have. 

Thanks in advance for your help, have a great weekend.

Kenneth

DESCRIPTION   MODULE(S)   Code
Passive Coupling Device   XPCP   

Kitchen counter lights Florescent Strip   XPS3-IW / MS14A    Both Set to A4

Living Rm      
Floor Lamp CFL   TM751   A
Table Lamp CFL   AM466   A2
Table Lamp CFL   AM466   A3
Accent Lamps LED   AM466   A7
Icon Remote / IR Commander   IR32A/UX17A   

Master BR      
Table Lamp CFL   TM751   M
Table Lamp CFL   AM466   M2
Icon Remote   IR32A   

BR 2 / Entry      
BR Lamp CFL    TM751   B
Entry Lamp CFL   AM466 / MS14A   Both Set to B2

Porch Light CFL   XPS3-IW / MS14A   Both Set to A5

Future Plans      
BR 3 Lamp   TM751   C
Garage - Florescent strip lighting   XPS3-IW / MS14A   Both set to G3
Garage - CFL Workbench light   TM751 / MS14A   G/G2
Driveway - CFL Floods x2   XPS3-IW / MS14A   G5
Backyard CFL floods x4   XPS3-IW / MS14A   Both set to M3

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »

Thanks for the added information.
Since no TM751s are on the same House Code they should not step on each other.

I did notice the Kitchen Counter Lights has an MS14A on A4. Its Dusk Dawn Sensor will be the porch lights A5 address. So depending on what light is hitting the kitchen MS14 it may turn the porch lights on and off.

I didn't see any dimmer type units in your list. The one listed  should not cause any overheating on CFLs.

If you have not look at Jeff's great tutorials you may want to look at them.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »

Since no TM751s are on the same House Code they should not step on each other.

I was concerned that with so many motion sensors, there could be collisions if two sensors detect activity at almost the same time.  That is often a problem when several motion sensors are used in high activity areas.  Here they just monitor outdoor activity, so that may not be an issue.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

TX-Techman

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »

Yes I need to readdress a few things to make sure there is no overlap with the motion sensors.  I am more optimistic after hearing from you guys.  X10 is pretty cool stuff, I really thought after 20 years it would be pretty much fool proof but with all the new technology in homes lots of new issues have cropped up.  I will check out the references mentioned, I look forward to getting things working correctly. 

Thanks,

Kenneth

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.