Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non-X10 Outlets Not Working  (Read 2729 times)

lee911

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Non-X10 Outlets Not Working
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:43:54 AM »

This seems to be a weird problem and I've done extensive searches but can't find any info. I installed a WS12A in my kitchen. Then programmed it with a daily/ evening timer in AHP (3.228); which works perfctly the way it was suppose to. A couple weeks ago, one of the kitchen outlets stopped working. At the time, I didn't even think about X10, just though it was a faulty outlet and put a new one in. But that didn't fix the problem. I decided to just ignore it and blame it on the house (which we've only been in for two months). Then tonight I noticed two other outlets don't work (that have previously worked). All theses outlets are adjacent to one WS12A. With a second one nearby, presumably all on the same circuit.

Could these WS12A's be causing some sort of problems with my existing non-X10 outlets?

What can I do about it? I guess I could pull the WS12A's and put normal switches back in to test the theory?

I'm confused and bewildered, and as a X10 newbie I don't want to throw in the towel yet; but I do need electrical outlets in my kitchen!!

Thanks
Lee

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Non-X10 Outlets Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:07:44 AM »

They should not have any effect on the outlets. Unless you where trying to control them with the WS12A.

You may want to make sure that you didn't disturb any of the wiring in the electrical boxes where you installed the WS12A. Like maybe the neutral or line wires got moved around and the connections got loose.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:42:53 AM by Brian H »

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »

Did the outlets ever work after installing the ws12a?  Or did you just not notice it for a couple of weeks?  Have you tried turning on the ws12a and then recheck the outlets?  If they work while the switch is on then  probably the wires got turned around.  Or is your outlets controlled with the switch?  I have a couple of these in my house. (but not in the kitchen).  Just something might check if you haven't already.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

lee911

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:10:23 AM »

You may want to make sure that you didn't disturb any of the wiring in the electrical boxes where you installed the WS12A. Like maybe the neutral or line wires got moved around and the connections got loose.

I'm going to check this as the WS12 was installed in the same junction box with an outlet that's currently not working.

Did the outlets ever work after installing the ws12a?  Or did you just not notice it for a couple of weeks?  Have you tried turning on the ws12a and then recheck the outlets?  If they work while the switch is on then  probably the wires got turned around.  Or is your outlets controlled with the switch?  I have a couple of these in my house. (but not in the kitchen).  Just something might check if you haven't already.

Can't say for sure if they worked AFTER the WS12A installation as these outlets are used, but not everyday. I do know for a fact that they DID work before the WS12A was put in.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.