Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with X10 mini timer MT10A  (Read 4789 times)

rawrmachine

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with X10 mini timer MT10A
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:25:23 AM »

Hey there all, for the past 4 years or so I've been using the firecracker kit to control the lights of my room. both the remote and the serial firecracker module control the lights in my room just fine. I have 3 lamp modules to control the floor lamps in my room and a socket rocket for my ceiling lamp.

I recently bought the mini timer so I can wake up with light, the problem is that I cant get it to work. I have already returned it once so there's no way the unit could be defective. I have batteries in it and its plugged into the same outlet box as my transeiver. the buttons on top (1/2/3/all on ...etc) will not toggle any light in my room and although the audible alarm works the programs wont turn on or off any light.

what could cause this? is my hardware too old for this newer clock?

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
Re: Help with X10 mini timer MT10A
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »

Explain how you are using it and maybe we can help
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »

Other than some circuit revisions. X10 modules have worked the same since the BSR days.
So an MT10A should work fine with your modules.

Try rotating the House Code Dial a few times is it maybe dirty and the MT10A is on the wrong House Code.
Also slide the 1-4; 5-8 switch back and forth a few times for the same reason.
Would not hurt if you slid the program switch a few time also.

If I read your post correctly the All Lights On and All Units Off Buttons also don't work.

If you have not tried it yet. As a test unplug the transceiver so only the MT10A is on the outlet. If it now works you have a marginal signal and the added power line transmitter in the transceiver is enough to make the system not work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:39:04 AM by Brian H »

rawrmachine

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:33:41 AM »

Thank you, your suggestions worked.

the mini timer was unable to control the light plugged into transceiver, however by unplugging the transceiver I am able to control the other lights

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:05:36 AM »

The MiniTimer will not be able to control the transceiver if it is the TM751.
The TM751 has no X10 power line receiver in it and the MiniTimer sends power line signals.
That is also why a TM751 is not polite and will blindly send an X10 signal over the top of another one. Causing signal corruption.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »

If you need a transceiver. you can get the RR501 at Automated Outlet http://www.automatedoutlet.com/ for $9.67 (plus shipping). The RR501 is the better transceiver than the TM751 and is "polite".  X10 only sells it as part of a package for more $$$ and the other stuff you probably don't want or need. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »

If you need a transceiver. you can get the RR501 at Automated Outlet http://www.automatedoutlet.com/ for $9.67 (plus shipping). The RR501 is the better transceiver than the TM751 and is "polite".  X10 only sells it as part of a package for more $$$ and the other stuff you probably don't want or need. 

The RR501 allows for powerline and RF control of the built in appliance module where the TM751 only allows for RF control of the built in appliance module.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:10:20 PM »

Plus the RR501 is "polite" which means it waits for the line to clear before sending signals, while the TM751 is not "polite" and will send powerline signals regardless if the line is clear or not.  Plus as Brant mentioned, it saves an outlet.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.