Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TM571 vs appliance module...first project  (Read 3459 times)

technologicallydeclined

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
TM571 vs appliance module...first project
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:42 AM »

Okay. First let me say that I am a stay at home grandfather with a handicapped grandson who my wife and I have living with us. This creates two conditions. 1. I am almost always home. 2. I have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time on my hands. (If my wife is to be believed...lol).
SO every year I spend most of October ( a couple hours a day) doing up the yard for Halloween and draw kids from miles around!!!!
This year I plan on x10 ing a number of displays and being new to all this plan to start testing how various things work and look way ahead of time so Its right when the time comes. And one big thing is:  being a caregiver with limited income, budget is a very important fact. Every dollar.
So heres the thing:  I noticed that pricewise the tm571 is in certain cases cheaper than the appliance module but can be used to replace it plug in wise. Which confused me. Why pay more for something that does less? So the question is this: If they do the same thing why would you use one rather than the other? Advantages/ disadvantages of each. YES, I know the 571 can be used to extend range... on a cm15a ahp setup like I bought. And reading various posts over about 15 hours the last 3 days I'm thinking I need to start experimenting now with the learning curve and my stubborn old brain factored in...LOL!  So what to buy?    Thanks in advance.     
TM   ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:03:28 AM by technologicallydeclined »

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: TM571 vs appliance module...first project
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »

shop on ebay for your x10 stuff...prices on there are always better then the deals you see on the x10 website

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

I noticed that pricewise the tm571 is in certain cases cheaper than the appliance module but can be used to replace it plug in wise. Which confused me. Why pay more for something that does less? So the question is this: If they do the same thing why would you use one rather than the other? Advantages/ disadvantages of each.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken, the TM751 can only receive RF (radio frequency) signals while the appliance module can only receive power line signals.

A macro can cause the CM15A to send both/either RF and powerline signals.   A number of other devices, remotes, wireless wall switches, etc. can also send RF signals.

Mel

technologicallydeclined

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »

I noticed that pricewise the tm571 is in certain cases cheaper than the appliance module but can be used to replace it plug in wise. Which confused me. Why pay more for something that does less? So the question is this: If they do the same thing why would you use one rather than the other? Advantages/ disadvantages of each.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken, the TM751 can only receive RF (radio frequency) signals while the appliance module can only receive power line signals.

A macro can cause the CM15A to send both/either RF and powerline signals.   A number of other devices, remotes, wireless wall switches, etc. can also send RF signals.

Mel

Thanks Mel for the response. YES I am aware that each device connects to the system in a different manner (RF and Powerline) but thats not what I am concerned with. If I understand correctly. BOTH can plug in and serve as an appliance module. But price wise the remote/rf unit is cheaper. Is this module able to do everything that the other one can and what advantages or disadvantages/difficulties might there be adding "appliances" to one or the other?
I am so sorry I am being so unintentionally vague but I am struggling to understand and its hard to express ideas when I'm not sure I understand what I'm asking...lol.  TD :'(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:40 PM »

The TM751 has no power line receiver in it and is not polite. So it can not be power line controlled. Only responds to an RF signal.
It takes the RF command it received and sends a power line signal to other modules.
If there is another power line signal being sent lets say from a CM15A it will blindly step on it.
Its internal applance type module is hard wired to Unit Code 1. Only the House Code is set by a dial.
More than one on the same House Code can sometime result again an impolite stepping on each others.
I would use an Appliance Module.
The EBay dealers can be quite cost effective and so can X10 if you find the bundled deals.
Like the Mega Module Sales.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/mega_module_packs.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:51:12 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:13:12 PM by Brian H »

technologicallydeclined

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »

You guys rock!!! That clears it right up. I will check those links to see what additional info it will yield but from what Brian said i believe I need to use appliance modules.  >!Thanks to everyone. With time and experience I hope I can return the favor and help others as everyone here has helped me.  TD

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »

I have purchased a number of IBM home director X10 appliance modules off of eBay.  They are pretty cheap.  Now I have seen some of the X10 Powerhouse appliance modules on occasion going for a little over $5 with free shipping, but usually I see them going closer to $8 ($7.99 something like that), and 3 packs of these go around $18.50.  The IBM home director ones are usually a little over $6.50 with 3 packs going for $16, all with free shipping.  If you just do a search for "X10 appliance module" on ebay you may even find a little better deal.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 06:14:42 AM »

Just remember that the IBM units are the older design and not as CFL friendly as the present X10 ones.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »

Just remember that the IBM units are the older design and not as CFL friendly as the present X10 ones.
This I did not know.  I'll have to remember that if I try to use any of them for CFLs.  Thanks.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.