Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moving AHP and BVC from Laptop to desktop  (Read 2433 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Moving AHP and BVC from Laptop to desktop
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »

I've just revived an old desktop running XP with a Pentium 4.  I'm going to use it was my home automation computer.  Currently I've set up AHP and BVC on my laptop. Here's my questions:

1.  What's the best way to move AHP and BVC to the desktop?

2.  Any add-on programs that would help the desktop perform well with AHP and BVC?

3.  The desktop will be connect via wire to my router.  My laptop runs wirelessly.  Will it be possible to view AHP and BVC form the laptop by setting up a home network?

4. I've read that XP only has a man's voice available for BVC.  Is there a free female voice for downloan somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Moving AHP and BVC from Laptop to desktop
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:18:58 PM »

I've just revived an old desktop running XP with a Pentium 4.  I'm going to use it was my home automation computer.  Currently I've set up AHP and BVC on my laptop. Here's my questions:
I think those old dust collector XP computers are PERFECT for Home Automation.
1.  What's the best way to move AHP and BVC to the desktop?
Install both AHP and BVC new. Then in your Laptop... save.. then copy and paste the ahx (AHP) file into (the XP PCs) AHP. You can do a search to file the ahx file(s).

And in BVC click on File then save settings... copy those files to the new (old) PC and repeat the process... and replace the files with the ones from the laptop. The files will be saved in your "my documents".
2.  Any add-on programs that would help the desktop perform well with AHP and BVC?
Not that I am aware of.....
3.  The desktop will be connect via wire to my router.  My laptop runs wirelessly.  Will it be possible to view AHP and BVC form the laptop by setting up a home network?
I think some use logmein (the free version:  logmein.com)
4. I've read that XP only has a man's voice available for BVC.  Is there a free female voice for downloan somewhere?
At Bills forum... there are directions for installing the new Anna for free.  http://wgjohns.com/forums/index.php?topic=142.msg657#msg657
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »

AHP, BVC and PC Companion play very well with each other.  IMHO this is a killer combo.  PC Companion (PCC) Has a lot of features that the other don't.  LIke, weather triggers, reminders, caller id announcement, floor layout, sound triggers and a lot more!    >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »

Dave and Hawk,

Thanks for your expert advice. I hope to complete the move this weekend.  Now I just need a baby monitor for my mic and I should have everything in place.

PC Companion:  I've been reviewing the info, looks interesting.  Tons of features.

Thanks!

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »

I couldn't agree more w/ Dave - an old desktop seems perfect for an HA box.  I've run old 300MHz and 450MHz pentium boxes. Aside from the fact they could be larger power consumers that a newer (albeit more expensive) box.

For remote access - I've used one of the free VNC variants for years (UltraVNC, TightVNC...).
Read up on the security aspects, regardless of which solution you pick.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »

.....Now I just need a baby monitor for my mic and I should have everything in place.

If you only need one... [and one is all many people will need]... look at a couple yard sales tomorrow. As often as not... if they have lots of baby stuff.. they will be selling the baby monitor as well. I recently picked up one to test... it was only $3.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.