Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 won't listen to remote  (Read 3888 times)

malfist

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS467 won't listen to remote
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »

I just got started with some X10 stuff that my boss gave me to play with. I have a transceiver, a palm remote, lamp module, and a WS467. Everything works except the WS467. I pulled out my current light switch and put in the WS467 today. I can control it with the switch, but not the remote. It's on the same home code as the everything else but it ignores it. When I turn on the switch manually, it buzzes at me, and when I turn it off, the light still flickers.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: WS467 won't listen to remote
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »

This sounds like you are controlling a compact fluorescent light from a dimmable switch.  Even if the CFL says it can be controlled by a dimmer, the WS467 cannot be used for that purpose because it is just a two-wire switch.  It will only control incandescent loads because the power and control signal must flow through the bulb.

To control a non-dimmable CFL you must use a relay type switch like the XPS3 or WS13A, which have a neutral connection.  Dimmable CFLs may work OK with a wall switch designed for inductive loads that also include a neutral connection, such as the XPDI3.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

malfist

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:16:06 AM »

Yes, that's true. I forgot I had CFL's in it. However, changing them to incandescents only took the flicker away. The remote still doesn't turn them on or off. I even turned off the A/C and unplugged the uninterpretable power supply for my computer. No matter where my transceiver is in the house, it will work with a lamp module I have plugged in, but not for the light switch.

My house only has two wires, it was built in the thirties or forties. I'm renting, and couldn't convince the landlord to put a grounding wire in. He helpfully put three prong plugs on everything though (ground unwired)!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:18:26 AM by malfist »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:05 AM »

Try rotating the House Code and Unit Code dials. We have been seeing some reports of incorrect addresses due to poor connections in the dials.

The new wall switches have preset dim.
Make sure they where not set to an on close to 0%.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim

malfist

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:51:11 AM »

It's an old one. My boss has had it in storage from when he bought it from radio shack many moons ago. I've already tried rotating it the codes, it doesn't seem to have an effect. I didn't brute force it and check everything though. As for it starting dim, the light switch still works just fine, and I don't have any software.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:57:41 AM »

If it is a Radio Shack there is a good chance it was not Soft Start.

Will give it some thoughts and get back.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »

Maybe the switch is bad. But you could have noise or phase coupling problems.

One way to verify the WS467 is to plug the tranceiver into the same circut as the WS467 (with a minimum 40W incandescent bulb). If the house has circuit breakers locate the circuit the WS467 is on and plug the transceiver into the same circuit if you can. If the remote can then control the WS467 you probably have noise or phase coupling problems.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

malfist

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »

The whole upstairs minus appliances are on the same breaker. I can put the transceiver anywhere upstairs and control the lamp module without a problem. It's just the light switch.

The switch still works manually, could it still function that way and not work with X10

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

Have you verified it is on the same breaker?  Often wall switches are fed from a different circuit than convenience receptacles.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »

The whole upstairs minus appliances are on the same breaker. I can put the transceiver anywhere upstairs and control the lamp module without a problem. It's just the light switch.

The switch still works manually, could it still function that way and not work with X10
I don't think you have eliminated the possibilty of a noise or coupling problem, especially if, when you turn off the breaker the light fixtures go off, but receptacles remain powered.

However the answer to your question is yes. The PLC receiver in the wall switch could be bad but local control (the button on the switch) will still work.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.