Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a TESTER for my Home Automation app... (Offer expired)  (Read 6884 times)

vincentb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Hi people,

I'm looking for a suitable beta-tester for my Home Automation software (which is about to support ActiveHome).  Who ever is chosen will receive a free license to my software valued at $100.

I've spent 6 years building and selling a sophisticated Home automation app worldwide, and have recently expanded it to utilise the Activehome CM15A driver.  My software has quite a number of customers and boasts a large range of features including:

- Control of your home via a visual floorplan
- Touch screen support
- Access your home remotely
- Lighting "intelligence" (give your lights 'logic' without having to configure rules)
- Track presence of Occupants
- Addressbook & Calendar (with Outlook support)
- Interactive visual character (supports MS voices)
- Music player
- Surveillance manager
- Timers and Reminders
- Shopping list (with SMS'ing and emailing)
- Power Consumption Tracking
- Weather forecast
- Fully Themeable (with new skins periodically released)
- and much much much more...

I'm currently having issues with some X10 signals in my own home, and my current beta testers don't use X10, so i'm looking to add at least 1 more beta tester.  You can be anywhere in the world, but you need meet all of the following criterea:
* 18yo+
* Uses a CM15A module and Activehome
* Very familiar with all features of AHP
* Have a decent range of X10 configured in your home
* Have at least 2 networked PCs in your home
* Willing to read all of my user guides (in PDF) to understand all the features
* Moderate experience with Windows (ie: know how to edit registry entries, using Windows Explorer, etc)
* Happy to reply to my occasional emails of new bug fixes and new features, verifying you've tested what you can
* Happy to help others on this newsgroup with any issues, in my absense (or at least email me that there are people with questions)
* Not afraid to ask me questions!!
* It's not a requirement that you have a touch screen, but if you do, that greatly helps :-)

If you seem appropriate to become a potential beta tester, I'll give you a link to download the current beta version, and you'll be running off the 30 day trial period.  Once it expires, if any have stood out, I'll select at least 1 and provide them with a free license to my software (which also entitles them to free upgrades).  Soon after, the software will be published on the Activehome newsgroups, and although there's no contract, I'd appreciate the beta tester to stay communicating and work with me into the future.

So if you're interested, please email me at the following address and tell me a little about your setup:  vince @   nextevolution.com.au
(Dont bother replying to this thread)
 (Subject edited by tuicemen to reflect offer status)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:42:06 PM by Tuicemen »

chuckX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

VERY NICE........

But Sounds it should be a Full time Job -  a Paid Position !

vincentb

heya Chuck  :)

Re-reading what I wrote, I think I made it sounds much more full on that it actually is.  The testing will be quite basic because I've already had my existing testers iron out all the bugs over the last few years.  So I don't mean to scare anyone away from what i wrote!  (It's just in the past I've had potential beta testers that are only good for about 1 week and then you never hear from them again).

I'm mainly just looking for some help from AHP users to make sure that it provides features that AHP-users would expect.  But to do that, the person needs to be bothered to learn what features it currently provides, and properly test any features I add, which usually only takes a few minutes. 

The other benefit of testing (apart from a free license & free upgrades) is i sometimes add features that beta testers personally request (if its feasable).  They also get to use features up to 12 months earlier than the general public.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:19:40 PM by vincentb »

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14

i like beta software - bleeding edge stuff.  use it daily with nightly build firefox (actually called namoroka), thunderbird, etc.

anyway I would try it and give feedback; I am good at breaking software:)

but I won't write a big bio for the chance.

vincentb

Thankyou all - I've had more than enough interest from people wanting to be beta testers.

I've now closed the offer.  I'll be working with everyone who's registered, and hopefully have an Activehome compatible version soon.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.