Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thermostat Control  (Read 6542 times)

mikemwa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Thermostat Control
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »

I would like to use a household thermostat and an X10 module to control a window fan. I would like to be able to set the thermostat to say 72 degrees and when it got that warm the fan would come on until it cooled down. Does anyone have a circuit for that or know what I need to do to make it work. I have old modules etc. I can take apart if needed.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Thermostat Control
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »

I would like to use a household thermostat and an X10 module to control a window fan. I would like to be able to set the thermostat to say 72 degrees and when it got that warm the fan would come on until it cooled down. Does anyone have a circuit for that or know what I need to do to make it work. I have old modules etc. I can take apart if needed.
Connect a seperate mechanical thermostat (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-YCT87N1006-The-Round-Heat-Cool-Manual-Thermostat/10975510) to a Power Flash module and the fan to an Appliance Module on same address. Simple.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:42:01 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »

Some of the inexpensive battery powered digital ones would also work. To trigger a Powerflash.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »

Some of the inexpensive battery powered digital ones would also work. To trigger a Powerflash.

Yeah, I didn't mention those because it might be hard to determine if the Thermostat is "running on batteries" or only using batteries for clock back up.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »

Yes you you would have to determine if it could work on batteries.
I have a inexpensive Hunter that I was going to use "Someday  ;D". It is strictly battery.

mikemwa

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »

I have a spare LUX digital thermostat I would like to use. Isn't there a way to hook it up to an appliance module and make it work that way?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »

No not directly to the appliance module.

The thermostat has to have its heating switch contacts. Connected to a Powerflash Module. X10 PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 module.

When it senses heat is needed and closes its switch. The Powerflash will send a power line signal to the appliance module to turn on. When it is warm enough the thermostat switch opens and the Powerflash send an off signal to the appliance module.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:52:23 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »

I have a spare LUX digital thermostat I would like to use. Isn't there a way to hook it up to an appliance module and make it work that way?
No. The Appliance Module needs a PLC input from the powerline. If the LUX will run soley on batteries you could still go the Power Flash route.

If you want the direct route, which seems to be what you are asking for, you can use a 24V AC transformer (door bell transformer) and a 24V AC coil relay. You can get a 24V AC coil relay from any heating - cooling dealer (they are typically called "fan relays" in the HVAC community). The transformer powers the LUX and the LUX controls the relay through the Air Conditioning contacts. Cut the "hot lead of an extension cord (the hot is the non ribbed wire) and use the N.O. contacts of the relay to close the circuit.

I'm still trailing Brian... rofl

mikemwa

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »

A digital thermostat has some kind of low voltage switch/relay contacts that go to the air conditioner right?
Couldn't I just tap into an appliance module from those wires to make this happen?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »

A digital thermostat has some kind of low voltage switch/relay contacts that go to the air conditioner right?
Couldn't I just tap into an appliance module from those wires to make this happen?
Yes.
NO.

The only way to add "local control" to an Appliance Module is with a momentary, normally closed, push button switch. A thermostat can not provide that.

Buy a Power Flash module. It is the easiest and safest way to accomplish what you want.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:42:49 AM by dave w »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »

The push button mod for the appliance module may not even apply to the new CFL friendly one with a 100% different microcontroller.
Also as a hot chassis power supply. Adding anything external is asking for sparks or worse.
Powerflash or dave w's direct route, is the way to go.

mikemwa

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:04:08 PM »

I'm working on the transformer and the fan relay but having trouble finding the relay. Thanks for the help

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.