Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling X-10 with DMX  (Read 5952 times)

jack63ss

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling X-10 with DMX
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »

I have a need to be able to operate lighting fixtures using X10 type modules (dimmable), but controlled by a DMX-based lighting board. I do local theater work and have lots of lights and plenty of power, but do not enough "control" (long story, has to do with stupid people). I have seen a bunch of posts about controlling DMX devices using the X10 protocol, but I need the reverse. If anyone has any information, ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jack

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Controlling X-10 with DMX
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »

I have seen a bunch of posts about controlling DMX devices using the X10 protocol, but I need the reverse. If anyone has any information, ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Can you reference some of these posts. I am no expert, but am not aware of any use of X10 PLC protocol to control DMX lighting control.  X10 PLC protocol has been around since late 1970's. X10 PLC protocol is very slow, one bit per AC half cycle. Each simple ON, OFF command for each lamp takes close to one second to transmit over the powerline. Each lamp must be addressed serially and then you can follow with a single ON or OFF commmand, but even that will take close to 4 to 5 seconds for say six lights.  A DIM or BRI command takes longer.

I understand you are looking for DMX protocol to control X10 modules, and can say: Nope, definitely can not be done directly. There would have to be some sort of a translator between the DMX protocol and X10 PLC protocol. That software may exist and maybe another forum member knows of it.

But the highest capacity X10 PLC protocol, dimmable, incandescent light control is 1KW. A wall switch from Smarthome.com. This would be incandesent only, (halogen OK, but no xenon or sodium, mercury halides, etc). What X10 devices did you want to control?

In the 1980's I hacked X10 Lamp Modules (300W max) to control video studio lighting controlling 2kW and 5KW Kliegs. You probably don't want to go there. There were many, many, problems to overcome related to nasty electrical noise and three phase coupling, also the lights could not be dimmed. If interested in a 10,000 foot view of the problems, PM me.

I did find some DMX info on the HomeSeer site, which is interesting as I use HomeSeer rather than AHP (X10 home control software). But I don't find any info on  DMX to HomeSeer (X10 and Z-Wave).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:48:31 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »

You can't run an XLR cable?   Dave is spot on,  X10 is WAAYYYYY too slow in comparison to DMX and X10 only handles one command at a time, so cross-fading lights is out of the question (at least a smooth fade).

Didn't I once run across a wireless DMX bridge?  Maybe it was just my imagination running away with me.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »

You can't run an XLR cable?   

If I understand the OP I'm guessing jack63ss has sufficient DMX control channels but not enough receivers and wants to use X10 on the lights themselves, maybe he can control a buss but not individual lights on the buss(?).

jack63ss

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:44:45 PM »

Dave, you are correct. The venue I am in has a 96 channel DMX board, but only 42 actual DMX controlled channels (cheapscates), all of which I am using. What I was trying to do is figure out if I could use X10 switches to control some of the "less important" and lower power lights, ones where the switching time is not a factor. I understand that in general I would need to get the X10 signal onto the correct power loop to make this work reliably though, and in this case I don't think that would work given how the system is configured.   

I actually did try controlling an ellipsoidal light that I am using to display a projected image (a logo gobo), but think I ran into the same issue you did. I tried connecting it to an X10 "Wall Switch" module (500w) and using an X10 Palm Pad Remote and Wireless Transceiver, but when I try to turn the light on I hear the transceiver (which is right next to the switch) click but the light does not come on. Could be the fact that this is actually a 575w fixture so it is too much for the switch. I'll take a look at the 1kw switch you mentioned, as I doubt I would ever use this to power over 750w anyway. Any any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Jack

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »

I actually did try controlling an ellipsoidal light that I am using to display a projected image (a logo gobo), but think I ran into the same issue you did. I tried connecting it to an X10 "Wall Switch" module (500w) and using an X10 Palm Pad Remote and Wireless Transceiver, but when I try to turn the light on I hear the transceiver (which is right next to the switch) click but the light does not come on.
Are you sure the light and the transceiver on the same 120V circuit? The 575W load will just make the switch get very hot, quickly (it already runs hot at 500W). 
But that won't prevent the switch from coming on.  The light is simple incandescent and not Xenon, correct? Switch is wired in series with the "hot" line correct?

The TM751 outlet is always Unit Code 1, so if you set the wall switch on UC 1 it should have come on when you heard the transceiver relay click since the transceiver is putting the PLC command for "[set] HC, UC 1 ON"  on the powerline at the same time it is energizing the transceiver outlet.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.