Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Controller Range Problem Solved  (Read 2606 times)

m82a1pa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Wireless Controller Range Problem Solved
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »

Over the last couple of years, in adding various modules and an X10 security system, everything worked fairly well.  Except for problems turning on/off modules using a couple of HR12A controllers.  I have a CM15A running in my small 'office' in the basement.  It's tied to my PC so remoting it isn't much of an option, due to USB constraints.  In several areas of my two story house I've had problems using the wireless controller.  I had to wave it around or get up and find a spot where the CM15A would pick up the signal.  Doing an antenna mod on the CM15A helped a little bit.

Last week, I read here about an XTBR repeater sold by JV Digital Engineering.  I ordered a kit on Saturday and it arrived on Monday!  I spent 3 to 4 hours assembling it.  I have soldering experience so I used my headset magnifier while building the kit, along with a fine point soldering iron station.  The parts quality and the PC board quality are superb, as are the assembly instructions.  There were absolutely no issues in constructing it.  A magnifier and a correct solder tool is essential.

Since my CM15A has to remain in the basement, along with the PC, I had some misgivings about my range issues with it plugged into the XTBR.

I'm happy to report that the misgivings were unfounded.  Everything is now perfectly controlled from anywhere in the house.

I even have a lamp controller plugged into a spike suppressor strip which almost never worked.  I had been too lazy to run another extension cord to bypass it for the module.  Now there is no need because the signal that controls the lamp blasts through the strip and even that lamp module works 100%.

Kudos to Jeff for this device that solved my problems totally.

Mort Denison
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:07:45 PM by m82a1pa »

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: Wireless Controller Range Problem Solved
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »

Yes, Jeff makes an excellent product(s)!  Love mine, can't do without it!    >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Wireless Controller Range Problem Solved
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »

I installed an XTB-IIR last summer.
Unfortunately, my breaker panel (I installed the XTB-IIR right next to it) is at the opposite end of the house from the PC (where the CM15A connects via USB).
I tried various USB extenders, but none of them worked properly for me with the CM15A.
In the end, I ran an extension cord from the outlet on the front of the XTB-IIR (I marked it "X10 Only" every few feet) over to near the PC, and plugged in the CM15A.
It works flawlessly for me.

That's another way you can go if you want to plug the XTBR into a more centrally-located outlet.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.