Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS 16A problems  (Read 3531 times)

Budro

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MS 16A problems
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »

I have Ms 16A's in  various areas in my 3700 sq ft 2 story with finished basement, house. I am using a TM 751A transceiver attached to an FM antennae(one of those that is a two wire about 4 ft long T configuration) in the basement to put the signals on the PLC to be read by a group of 486 Appliance  modules to provide contact closure for the MS 16A signals. Also there is a XPCR connected at the panel across the dual breakers for the dryer and another TM 751A located on the second floor. My problem is that all the signals do not get read by The TM 751A in the basement on the buss with the 486"s, so I do not get all my signals. Also the TM 751A on the second floor will trip but the signal will not show up on the basement buss so does not get read and activate the 486. i have the normal fluorescent bulbs in the kitchen and power strips for the computers.

Any advice would be appreciated. All I want is to be able to read the MS16A signals in the basement and have them trip the appropriate 486.

thanks,
Budro

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: MS 16A problems
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:12 AM »

The antenna on the TM751. Is it wrapped around the external antenna or did you connect it inside? If it is inside. It can be a shock and possible fire hazard if grounded.

Your MS16As signals are not reaching the basement TM751 so it is not reacting.
Maybe a passive radiator on them may extend their distance.
Try the passive coupled wire near the MS16A top edge.
http://www.davehouston.net/X10_feng_shui.htm

The upstairs TM751 is receiving the MS16As signals but it power line signals are not reaching the AM466s location.
You may have a power line signal problem from its location.
First you may want to unplug the surge strip and computers. If things improve get an X10 filter for the strip and computers as they are frequently found to be a problem.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »

Budro

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »

Thanks Brian. No the antennae is externally wrapped around the TM751 antenna and take a look at the other sites you proposed and post any success I have.

Bud.

Budro

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »

I do have one more question though. Are there any other devices out there that will receive the MS16A signals and provide me contact closure other than the 486 and 466 appliance modules?

Thanks again all you HA experts that help people like me.

Budro

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »

Like a dry contact low voltage switch?
The UM506 is a dry contact switch. If you can find one.
I believe they are on the discontinued list.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Universal_Module

The Smarthome I/OLInc can have an X10 address programed into its relay output and sensor input.
http://www.smarthome.com/2450/IOLinc-INSTEON-Low-Voltage-Contact-Closure-Interface-1-In-1-Out-/p.aspx

Budro

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »

Thanks again Brian. I will take a look at it and see if it will work for my application.

Budro

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »

If you need a dry closure for a low voltage. It may do the trick for you.

Budro

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »

Well now-the rest of the story. I turned off all power strips in the house, 6 total. the TM751 started to work better but still couldn't read all the signals. My problem though is I still like to watch my big screen TV and don't want to  turn off my computer all the time and my MS16A system has to work 24/7. the answer was to make the MS16A's signal available in the basement where  the power buss strip along with a TM751 and with the 466 appliance modules are. turns out that if one antenna is good, then two should be better. that worked to get some of the MS16A's signal from the other end of the house reporting in correctly. I had some old speaker cable from non automation days and I strung it from the TM751 antenna across half the house above the dropped ceiling in my basement. I even attached it to the dropped ceiling framework to see if it would act as a 'whole house antenna'. Did not seem to make much difference but I did get some of the signals to work properly. Lastly I turned to Feng Shui for the last two that I could not get signals from. As Dave Houston's article said, I cut an 18" length out of a steel coathanger and mounted it on the MS16A and VIOLA, it's signal reports in perfectly. The MS16A internal antenna is in the lower left corner just above the battery pack, looking at it from the front, so i just mounted the bottom of the coat hanger antenna at that point on the outside with the antenna sticking straight up in one instance and bent over (did not have room above the sensor) towards the area in the basement where everything is located. Unbelievable. It really increased the range of the MS16A signal. I am no electrician, but not a bad shade tree mechanic and this is right up my ally. Had a good time and now will have a story to tell when company comes. everything works great.

thanks again Brian. this was excellent help.   

Budro

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.