Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A seems to have quit working  (Read 4988 times)

soccernut43

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A seems to have quit working
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

Not sure why or how it may be connected to our daylight saving time change (probably has nothing to do with it) but my CM15A seems to have stopped working.  I have no automatic or maual control over the few lamp modules I have in use.  The software seems to recognize the CM15A and I can download to it.  I have unplugged the CM15A, removed the batteries, put the batteries back in, plugged it back in, nothing.  I took the batteries out, plugged in the module, reinstalled the batteries, nothing.  I have cleared the CM15A and than downloaded to it.  Nothing.  I have moved an appliance module to a receptacle right across from the CM15A.  Nothing.  I even brought a USB cable from work to try instead of the USB cable that came fro mthe factory.  Kind of baffled. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CM15A seems to have quit working
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »

I have moved an appliance module to a receptacle right across from the CM15A.  Nothing.  
Try it again, only this time use the same outlet the CM15A is plugged in to. Also does the CM15A still pick up RF signals? Does Activity Monitor indicate anything? Since computer and CM15A seem happy I wonder about a new, strong noise source on same circuit as CM15A as the problem, and not the CM15A.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:46:24 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

soccernut43

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

>*<

soccernut43

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:27 AM »

Great after typing a reply for 15 minutes I unfortunately picked the "Beat a Dead Horse" animation and it erased everything I typed.  Here we go again.  I will try the above troubleshooting hints but have just about exhausted every intelligent option to get this X10 system working.  I purchased the system in December 2012 and by March it has quit working consistently.  I even had to wait for the delivery of a XCPC Phase Coupler which didn't help at all (not sure why they state in the instructions that if the XCPC does not work to wire it to the same side of the panel as the CM15A is plugged into.  Isn't EVERY 240VAC two pole breaker tied to at LEAST ONE side of an electrical panel?  Course the instructions to wire in the wall switch were incorrect also).  I've reset the CM15A countless times (unplug, remove batteries, let sit 15 minutes, plug back in, install batteries, etc, etc) and cleared the memory many times.  When I ask it to "Find Other Computers" it still shows me ALL of the old modules I had on the "A" node (lists them either as a question mark or a place to avoid????) while I've set all the modules to the "F" node (well only 4 of them, 3 lights modules for window candles and 1 appliance module to turn on and incandescent light).  Almost every other time I plug connect the CM15A to my laptop and the software it shows a download is needed (I've made NO changes).  I have more modules and a remote I purchased but can't use a thing until I get this CM15A figured out.  Before the Daylight Savings Time change at least MOST of the modules worked (once in awhile the 2 window candles downstairs that are plugged into 1 lamp module (two 7 watt candles) would stay on all night which was frustrating).  Then after the Daylight Savings Time change the system turned into a bunch of paperweights.  Probably one of the most frustrating products I've ever purchased.  I've been in contact with a gentleman in Texas who is having the same problem.  I just don't have the time to put into working on something that should work out of the box correctly.  Again, frustrating is an understatement.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »

XPCP is not the best thing for real poor communications.
All it does is couple the signal and noise at the breaker box back on the opposite phase.
If the CM15A was outputting lets say 4 volts and due to circuit losses losses was 1 volt at the breaker box. 1 volt is all that was coupled to the other phase and then you have the losses on that phase to contend with. Putting it on the same branch circuit as the CM15A for one of the 220 lines. May have gotten a slightly higher voltage coupled to the other phase.
Coupler/repeater may give better results.

You are using the latest AHP 3.318?

Did you clear out all the old modules that maybe in the Trash Bin? Old trash has sometimes caused problems.

The Time and Location are correctly downloaded into the CM15A?

Are any of the breakers Arc Fault or GFCI?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:33:55 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »

You are not alone in wiping out a whole message you have composed.
I have done it a few time myself.  ???

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »

1. What is a "XCPC"? Do you mean an XPCP? If so the XPCP does not amplify, it only couples the X10 command from one 120V line in the panel (where the command originated) to the other 120V line. It does not help if you have a noise problem (or nasty signal sucker). IMHO in todays world of switching power supplies, CFL, and LED bulbs, (all noise makers) a XPCP is useless. A repeater coupler at least amplifies the X10 command on both lines.

Did you trouble shoot for a noise problem? If the CM15A worked at one time but either degraded slowly (could be a noise source on a breaker circuit other than the circuit the CM15A is plugged in to) or quit suddenly (could be a [new] noise source on the same circuit the CM15A is plugged in to) you need to trouble shoot for noise before assuming the CM15A has failed (not saying they don't, but if it still talks to the computer and shows activity on the Activity Monitor I would look for noise or signal sucker before assuming the CM15A is bad.

Plug an Appliance Module into same outlet as CM15A, does the Appliance Module work then?

2. Yes a double pole 220V breaker connects to both 120V lines in your panel (in north America). By code your XPCP should be connected to it's own double pole 220V breaker, but as a test you can temporarly connect it to a 220V breaker for the clothes dryer, water heater, or stove. Do not connect it to a 220V breaker for the HVAC since the compressor and fan motors can attenuate the X10 commands.

Try searching the forum for "noise" for better information and examples of noise generators (and signal suckers) other users have found (cell phone chargers, CFL and LED bulbs, computers, UPS, flat panel TVs, etc).

X10 is long on tooth, but can still be made to work, it's just becoming more of a challange which takes some patience and step by step troubleshooting.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

soccernut43

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:31 AM »

Thanks guys just have to find some time to troubleshoot this.  I'm a SCADA Technician and we have a similar technology call HART that communicates over a 4-20mA signal we use to control and measure with.  While we don't rely on HART to provide constant communication when we do use it we don't have half the problems the X10 system has (and we defintely have more equipment that can cause HUGE line noise problems).  We have an expansion going on that will use technology similar to DeviceNet and in that application the cable that the 4-20mA signal runs on also has a seperate pair of wires for strictly communication purposes to the device so I wonder if the experienced the same issues with line noise.  Last night I moved the CM15A into the room where 3 of the modules are (with the batteries intact).  I had to leave and when I came back home everythign seemed to be working okay.  At 11PM everything turned off so I thought maybe I was on to something.  When my dog had to go out at 5AM there were no lights on at all which is what they are suppossed to be (one table lamp is set to come on at 5:30A).  When I let her back in I turned around to see the window candles were on as where the ones upstairs (they are not suppossed to be on).  I unplugged them and went back to bed.  When I got up at 5:40AM the one table lamp was on as it was suppossed to be.  Yes it is a XPCP and yes it is a total waste of money but being new to this it was the next suggested procedure in the troubleshooting process.  Probably the next option is the coupler/amplifier but to continue to throw money at this in annoying. 

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »

I'm confused. How is your 4-20mA application applicable? 4-20mA current loops have been used for more than 60 years in industrial applications because they have inherent noise immunity. I've never heard of one using the powerline for communication - they use a dedicated two-wire cable.

The key advantages of the current loop are that the accuracy of the signal is not affected by voltage drop in the interconnecting wiring, and that the loop can supply operating power to the device. Even if there is significant electrical resistance in the line, the current loop transmitter will maintain the proper current, up to its maximum voltage capability.

The noise we are talking about in relation to X10 is on the powerlines and usually comes from other electrical devices plugged into the powerlines. The proliferation of electronic devices with cheap switching power supplies have added many noises sources that bedevil powerline communications.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.