Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: problems with new X10 Relay Switches XPS3  (Read 3278 times)

carpati40

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
problems with new X10 Relay Switches XPS3
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »

I had 2 old X10 switches (Leviton) controlling 4 light fixtures, 2 on each circuit, but seems that one of them had the "electronics" go bad, giving a false signal to turn on the lights when not called for????? So I decided to change both at the same time with the hope that I will not loose the other one in the very near future.......I installed the switches that I purchased from X10.com, and I couldn't get the lights to come ON, although I could hear the Transceiver (An X10 Powerhouse??? device picking up the "action" from the remote that I use to turn the lights on and off. It still clicks when I push the ON button, and still clicks when I press the OFF button. I changed the house codes, and still nothing, I changed the transceiver with one purchased from Radio Shack and still nothing happened?????

At this point I put back the old switches and they work  like they usually did, but the one with the problems stills comes on at unexpected hours?????

Can you explain to me if you are aware of any changes in the manufacturing of the new switches??? I know that the Leviton has discontinued to make them, but the replacements look very much identical????? same manufacturer???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: problems with new X10 Relay Switches XPS3
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »

What type of lights are being controlled? Incandescent, LED, CFL?

Any new electronic device in the home? Where new power line noise makers or signal suckers maybe effecting the communications?

Have you tried moving the Transceiver to a few locations to see if communications change?

Do you have any phase coupling between the homes incoming split single phase power lines?

Few links to troubleshooting tips.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:12:40 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »

Did you try rotating the code wheels all the way around on the new switches a few times? The contacts might have some residue on them from manufacturing and storage, and might not be making good contact.

carpati40

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »

Brian, to answer your questions first, yes I did move the transceiver all over, even to an outlet next to the panel, close to where the two switches are mounted. I tried the phase coupling device sold by X10.com, but it did not solve the problem. No new electronic devices or any additions to the power system, the location of these switches is actually a church. The only unexplained fact is that if I put the old switches in, they work??????? Why don't the new switches work???? I tried the WS13A switch model too, which probably is the same switch but supplied by another web site thru ebay. The only scary thing is that on both models of switches I read that the neutral is required for the application. The specs also call that the neutral cannot be grounded!!!! But my problem is that that the panel from which these switches are fed from is actually the church main panel, and the Utility Neutral conductor is grounded by the ground wire required by the code, from the ground grid. So, do you think that this simple fact and the change in the manufacturing of these new switches makes my application useless????

Noam, I did not try that idea of rotating the code wheels all around the dials, but I cannot wait to try that tomorrow.

Thanks to both of you for the inputs.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »

I just looked at the XPS3 installation sheet from the new X10 site.
It says a Neutral is needed as you said. I also said a ground is not used. Some switches have an added ground wire on them. Like the Insteon ones do.

I did not see any mention of the ground and neutral can't be tied together in the electrical box . As that is the way almost all wiring is done. The neutral and safety ground are always tied to together in the breaker box.
Some folks with a switch loop where there is no neutral. Have tried using the ground as the substitute neutral. That is both a safety problem and an electrical code violation.

Yes the XPS3 and X10 WS13A are the same basic model. The X10Pro line is supposed to be tested more thoroughly and use to have a longer warranty. I can't say what the new owner of the X10 line policy is.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:32:34 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.