Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 interference  (Read 4137 times)

Elamderek5743

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS467 interference
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »

Today I got a new WS467 and wired it up. It's replacing two LM15A's I was using in the lights above the fireplace that would intermittently not respond to commands. Thinking it was the heat from the bulbs (they would stop working after being on for a while), I took them out and installed a WS467 on the circuit instead. It worked for the first few hours (after discovering that using dimmable CFL's causes problems for these modules). I replaced the dimmable CFL's with two 65W incandescent floods but now the module will not respond to any signal. The local control button works but no X10 control (SC503 PHC02 Maxi controller). All 15 other modules work flawlessly, but those are all LM465/AM466's, the WS467 is the only one in the system and the only module that does not work. As far as I know, the breaker the module is on and the breaker the controller is on are on the same phase. I also have a modified/wall mounted mini controller closer to the switch but that one can't control it either.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WS467 interference
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:45 AM »

The two wire X10 wall switches that steal power through the load. Most time have problems with dimmable CFLs and LEDs as that are rated for incandescent loads only. The noise form some CFLs could have also effected the LM15As but heat does sound like a possibility.

Do you have any coupling between the two phases of the homes wiring?
Do you have any X10 type filters on any electronic devices?
If you move the Maxi-Controller to different locations in the home. Can you then control the WS467?
Here are some troubleshooting tutorial links.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »

Today I got a new WS467 and wired it up. It's replacing two LM15A's I was using in the lights above the fireplace that would intermittently not respond to commands. Thinking it was the heat from the bulbs (they would stop working after being on for a while), I took them out and installed a WS467 on the circuit instead. It worked for the first few hours (after discovering that using dimmable CFL's causes problems for these modules). I replaced the dimmable CFL's with two 65W incandescent floods but now the module will not respond to any signal. The local control button works but no X10 control (SC503 PHC02 Maxi controller).
Going back to the dual LM15s that would not work intermitantly. That sounds like noise. Either at a level right on the cusp of wiping out X10 commands to the LM15s, OR noise that is only generated periodically and when it is generated does block X10 commands. Regarding the WS467, I suppose it is possible the CFL damaged PLC circuitry in the WS467. Have you completely disconnected power to the WS467 since it quit responding to remotes? If that doesn't work, do you have another WS467 you can swap to see if it acts the same. Finally,  although I have never experienced it, and can not explain it, I remember reading posts in the old X10 forum that certain X10 modules get persnickity about halogens...are the 65W bulbs halogen?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »

Why would any module care whether the bulb is standard incandescent or halogen incandescent?  They are both the same technology with a slightly different filament and gas environment within the bulb.  I know that halogen can get upset by dimming below a certain level and will audibly buzz and eventually burn out quicker, but I'm curious why X10 would care?

Elamderek5743

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:07:21 AM »

As far as halogens go, they may generate noise when they dim that low and start ringing. The 65W bulbs are Philips reveal floods and as far as I know are not halogen.

The WS467 is working again but just as intermittently as the two LM15A's that it replaced. My only guess as to what could be causing the noise is the water heater. We have three desktop computers but they are on 24/7 and have never caused problems. We had a failing low-voltage lighting transformer out back a while ago that would completely wipe out X10 signals when it was on.

I doubt the CFL's would damage the circuit as they are dimmable. What I've learned is it's okay to use dimmable CFL's in plug-in modules and in WS467's only if the total load is 40 watts or higher. It doesn't seem to like my 15W ecosmart CFL's, but the 20W purespectrum dimmable ones work in it just fine. And they actually dim, down to 10-15%- not just down to 75% and go out like the others.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:03:10 AM »

You are lucky with the dimmable CFLs. Many generate noise or have filters in them that suppress X10 signals.

Things can deteriorate and cause problems when they age. So it is possible something that was fine with an X10 power line signal is now causing a problem.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:09:03 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »

Why would any module care whether the bulb is standard incandescent or halogen incandescent? 
Yeah, it a puzzle to me also. I remember the old PR511 motion fixture having many comments about not operating with halogen spots but would work with standard incandescent. What's really odd is the PR5112 required a neutral and used a relay to power the two fixtures, not a triac. Also some PR511 worked fine with halogens others had trouble. No explaintion other than "it's X10" which is why I thought it might be interesting to see if the OP had halogens in the fixture. Would seem the WS467 shouldn't care, although I would guess the cold resistance of a halogen tungsten filament might be slightly different that a standard tungsten bulb since the halogen tungsted is burned a few hundred degrss hotter (K).

It was basically a shot in the dark based on X10 wierdities.   

Elamderek5743

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »

Well then, if any of you all are looking for dimmable CFLs that work with X10 - mine are all ecosmart 65W equivalent CFL floods that you can get at home depot. Never had a problem with them interfering, but they only dim to 60% brightness before going out.

The X10 signal through the rest of my system is superior because the house was wired with all lights on one phase, all outlets on the other. So I wired an outlet into the "lights" breaker and use that - no interference to speak of, even with 3 desktop PC's on 24/7 upstairs. The system is used in my home theater to dim the lights and floor lamps around the room.

As for the WS467, it seems to be working now that I have standard incandescent bulbs in it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »

As for the WS467, it seems to be working now that I have standard incandescent bulbs in it.
I may be repeating myself, but: you can get CFLs or LEDs to work with WS467 if there is an incandescent in the circuit. Even small incandescents such as 7W night lights will make the WS467 happy.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.