Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPR outlet fails to go Off.  (Read 1494 times)

bhvmaia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPR outlet fails to go Off.
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »

Here's a real perplexer for you guys.  I have two legs of 110v in conduit going out into the landscape to a series of 8 two-gang weatherproof boxes.  Everything is done to Code.  Most boxes have two reg'lar SSR-227 receptacles and they work fine.  Each box is running simple dumb incandescent lighting: 2-75w uplights on one outlet, and a few strings of xmas lights on the other.
     One box at the very end of one leg went for months without its outlets until I just got around to putting them in.  In this case I used newer XPR outlets (box does not show the 'W' in name).  Here's where it gets weird.  They were 'off' when I keyed the control pad, and seemed a bit balky, but they went on.  But since then they refuse to go off.
     I read posts on this subject from 2012 and one outlet evinces a well-known <0.1sec off/on behavior (rapid clicks) when Off key is pressed.  The other outlet makes no sound at all (as if disabled).
     Side notes are: these 110v legs come from the pool equipment (which has a wired remote control panel for the pumps).  And there is no other equipment connected or adjacent to either of these two legs.
I don't think this is a noise issue or behavior of all outlets would be erratic, wouldn't it? 
   >>  Why would the most distant of all outlets fail to function?.... it's only 15-ft from the next-closest outlet, working fine (has old-style SSR-227 outlets).
     This leads me to question if maybe extending the leg a few more feet and adding another final 'dumb' outlet box might give the signal the 'running room' it needs to carry the code to the failing outlets?  Duh?  Like, so it's not a 'dead end'?
     Or, maybe there's a known misbehavior when XPR's are mixed on a leg dominated by SSR-227's?
Yes, I could swap-out these outlets from some other location within the array, but that's a LOT of trouble, and prob'ly wouldn't make any difference anyway. 
     I'm hoping for a brilliant feedback from Community before I tackle something more difficult.
Thanks all - your wisdom invaluable.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPR outlet fails to go Off.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »

Can you temporarily remove them from their location and connect them to a line cord? Then test them in a different circuit and location.
If the one still pulses and the other one acts dead. They both maybe bad.
You may want to rotate the House Code and Unit Code dials a few time. In case the switches are dirty and the dead one  are actually on a different address

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.